Fiber Glass Tape for oar fixes..?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-27-2015   #1

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Fiber Glass Tape for oar fixes..??

Hey,
I just inherited a few used oars that need some refinishing. I was wondering if anyone has ever used fiberglass tape instead of sanding and epoxy to repair chipped/worn oars. I brand new to all this and am eventually going to invest in some new oars but in the mean time was hoping someone could shed some light.

WaterBr0ther is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2015   #2
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
We used to tape all of our wood oars, from the blade tip through the neck of the blade.
The trick is to lay strips vertically along the blade to the throat, then wrap from the blade tip through the neck or throat.
It is critical that you fully soak the tape before laying it out, and then fully coating everything to remove bubbles and trapped air. Any air bubble will quickly determinate the fiberglass and let water get to the wood.

I think it probably added years to the life of our oars and saved many a chipped/split/broken oar.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015   #3
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
It seems as though you may be talking about two different things.

What do you mean by fiberglass 'tape'?

And there are really no shortcuts to good quality and longevity.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2015   #4

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
I decided to just re-epoxy seemed to be the most common and tried way. thanks for looking tho
WaterBr0ther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015   #5
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
FG Tape

Fiberglass Tape works great. The fiberglass is cut into one inch wide rolls. You lay it out on a piece of cardboard. Brush on your epoxy resin thick and then roll it into a tape roll. Be sure to do any wood repairs before you cover it in glass. Prep your wood by cleaning it, sand it, seal it with a poly resin, once dry apply a thin coat of epoxy resin in the area you're laying the glass. Begin and end your wrap with an extra wrap or two. Next touch up any epoxy where needed and wrap it in plastic wrap to remove any air bubbles and compress the wrap (Bubba's Vacuum Bagging). Let it set-up over night. Remove the plastic wrap and fine sand to a nice smooth finish. that should about wrap it up.
Old 06-11-2015   #6

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Fiberglass Tape works great. The fiberglass is cut into one inch wide rolls.
With a woven edge or no?
Seems like the woven edge is harder to saturate (no bubbles) and to get to lay flat. Tape cut from a whole roll frays, but lays out and smooths/sands better.

[/quote]You lay it out on a piece of cardboard. Brush on your epoxy resin thick and then roll it into a tape roll. Be sure to do any wood repairs before you cover it in glass. Prep your wood by cleaning it, sand it, seal it with a poly resin,[/quote]

Why poly resin? It doesn't bond near as well as epoxy resin.

I like epoxy resin with some acetone to thin it so it penetrates better. You can also warm it slightly in the microwave so it's more flowable. (It will cure faster--both on the oar and in the cup, so adjust accordingly and work faster!--try it with slow or medium cure, fast cure will go nuclear fast!)

[qutoe]once dry apply a thin coat of epoxy resin in the area you're laying the glass. Begin and end your wrap with an extra wrap or two. Next touch up any epoxy where needed and wrap it in plastic wrap to remove any air bubbles and compress the wrap (Bubba's Vacuum Bagging). Let it set-up over night. Remove the plastic wrap and fine sand to a nice smooth finish. that should about wrap it up.[/QUOTE]

Bubba's vacuum bagging is the best!!!!!!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote