favorite ways to reduce clutter? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-28-2017   #1

Flagstaff, Arizona
favorite ways to reduce clutter?

In the process of deciding how to rig my jag for a fall gc trip and want to make the standard day to day interactions easier. Don't think I'm going to make the essential rigging much simpler than it is, but the rowing bay could use some work.

Right now I'm thinking a captains box replacing the ammo cans on my right side, and doubling up on cans to the left + some sort of zippered bag with a daisy chain across the front of the bay will help a bunch. Getting into ammo cans or dry bags quickly doesn't work and chaos starts taking over throughout the course of the day.

Related to that, it seems like having the bay so open makes me get knocked around a bit more since there's not much to brace against. I've always managed to stay in/on so far, but something like 20" of space in the center for my knees with the boxes come up to just below my knees would give me a bit more to brace against.

Pic should give you an idea of what I'm starting with. I'll be running a trailer frame + cooler/water up front with another paco on top to keep my face pretty but otherwise it's all up for change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	723.8 KB
ID:	21026  

giegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2017   #2
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The first thing that comes to mind is to get something more solid to brace your front foot against, maybe another rocket?
I'm a big fan of a plywood floor in the rower's bay,just makes river life so much more comfortable, and will make bracing in a little bit better.
What do you have in the drop bag under the seat? I run some ammo cans under the seat of my small cat to provide my back foot with a good solid thing to brace against.
Could fill in next to yourself for sure, Captains boxes would be sweet! could also add maybe some milk crates of beer. I think with a good solid brace for your front and back feet, along with a solid floor, you could be braced in nicely, try to think of having three points of contact when your rowing, your front foot, your back foot, and your oars. Being able to stand up and scout is really good in the Grand, I found myself doing that a lot when I was down there. Also good for when you need to stand up and push your body weight into a stroke for all your worth!

Have fun! Every day is just kinda mind blowing down there.
Old 07-28-2017   #3

Flagstaff, Arizona
On that trip the drop bag under the seat was for recycling. Hinged seat makes a badass can crusher. I'm thinking it'll be a good spot for beer on this trip since with the seat flipping backwards it's not easy to get to outside of camp.

Good ideas all around otherwise. Do you pad any of that stuff inside the bay?

This'll be my second time down there, but first rowing a cat instead of a raft and no permanent passengers. Super stoked.
giegs is offline   Reply With Quote