FABING A JOHNNY TOILET - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-30-2014   #1

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
FABING A JOHNNY TOILET

Hey,
I have a freind that is an aluminum welder building jet boats. I take him rafting with me and he wanted to try and make something like a Johhny partner... I can borrow one for a general guide... however I ran into a few snags... I have been looking for material for the lid and hole that will seat properly... I'm guessing an irrigation supply store would be a good start... any ideas has anyone done this... I think I found a pressure relief valve that will work it's ajustable from 0 to 100... I would just turn it way down... I know i have seen the collar clamps before but cant seem to find one online.. i would like to make the top the same as a johnny so if I do go with friends that have one we would have a spare tank...

codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014   #2
rafter

Bend, N'A
Paddling Since: 2000
groover

You can make one, for sure. What about Park Service Approval, Downstream, Russ
rioperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #3

salmon, Idaho
Ok after a slow day at work I think I have found everything I need to coplete this project minus the aluminum sheeting my friend will have. Attachment 7621 one female aluminum 10" pipe fitting Attachment 7622 two male 10" aluminum pipe fittings. one to be capped and one for toilet seat... Attachment 7623 one latch to attach the two... Attachment 7624
and one ajustable pressure release valve... all for around $100 plus a toilet seat... might get a nice foam padded one... let me know if I forgot anything, if you think this should work, or if I have seriously overlooked something...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014   #4

Arco, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
Are you going to build a funnel for RV dumps or will you always have access to a scat machine? If so, you'll need one more male fitting.
Atomicrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #5

salmon, Idaho
I live in salmon so I'm 20 miles from a scat machine... so unless there is another government shutdown I should be good...
Old 01-31-2014   #6

Central Point, Oregon
where did you find all the parts and pieces?
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014   #7

Arco, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
When I was searching for parts for this same type of build, my local farm/ranch/irrigation store had all of the parts in a catalogue and could order them in for me.
Atomicrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014   #8

salmon, Idaho
Those from a http://www.duboisag.com/ but you can get them at any irrigation store... i was told to just go to a irrigation store and go through their scrap pile to make it even cheaper...
Old 01-31-2014   #9

salmon, Idaho
So means that this is looking a lot more doable if you could change or add anything to a johnny what would it be... they are pretty simple but pretty perfect... I was thinking a small handle on the sealed lid...
Old 01-31-2014   #10

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I've never had the pleasure of viewing a Johnny Toilet up close, but I am familiar with irrigation piping. Normally those fittings seal with a gasket that relies on water pressure to seal (i.e. with no flow they leak, but once there is a little flow and pressure in the pipe it pushes the gasket out, sealing it...) I've never been able to get them to seal water tight without the gasket, and I don't think that type of gasket would work in this application anyways. So my question really is, on the manufactured system how do they actually get a good seal with the cam-clamp? You might think about that/try it out before use or it could get messy...

For a test I'd think to tap hole in the lid and put in an air fitting (quick release type) then pressurize with air to check for a seal and to adjust the PRV... Just a thought.
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote