Fabbing NRS style cooler mounts? - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Days Ago   #1

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Fabbing NRS style cooler mounts?

Curious if anyone has attempted to make their own cooler mounts for NRS frames?

I like the NRS concept, but was thinking of trying to make them as one continuous piece of aluminum, instead of two pieces join by straps.

https://www.nrs.com/product/1205/nrs-frame-cooler-mount

Wondering what the best aluminum alloy, dimensions, thickness, etc., would be?

If anyone has tried this, would love to hear about your experience.

Advertisement

Old 3 Days Ago   #2

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Seems it would be a better solution than their "one size fits all", and should rotate less than 2 separate corners. You might save some $$

3003 and 5052 aluminum will readily bend. 6061 will not bend.

Thinking you'd want to be somewhere around 12ga?
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #3

Hi Pine,

I did that years ago and they worked fine.

If I still had them, I would post a picture. But IIRC they were about 4" wide, formed from 1/8" sheet aluminum, and bent to the dimension of my dry boxes with a bit of a lip to retain the ends over the crossbar.

There is a value to the NRS system -- theirs are adjustable for height and width. But if you are using the same boxes all the time on the same frame, the the idea you are floating worked fine for me.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Days Ago   #4

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Hey Pine,
One other idea you might consider, is a floor under the cooler.
I’ve been running one for years, and I really like it, in my case it is plywood, and a full 8’, so my dry box is solid, and I have a nice place to stand in the rowers bay.( I hate stepping onto a mushy floor in the morning) You can make them to only go under the cooler though, and of course a floor is heavier than cooler mounts, but I thought I would at least throw it out there for you.
Old 3 Days Ago   #5
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
I made a floor to fit under my cooler only. When I put a strap over the top it is rock solid and its height is adjustable. that cooler mount really only works with short coolers and even then the cross bar messes with the latches and if your like me you need easy access to the beers.
Old 3 Days Ago   #6

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Four of these with two loop straps underneath and one over the top should give you a stable cooler

https://www.jjkeller.com/shop/Produc...ctor?rrec=true
Old 2 Days Ago   #7

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
I have seen too many people fall from their cooler because it shifted. I've almost fallen stepping on their coolers.

Make a set of brackets. 3" of 1/8" 5052 is no problem to bend at home. I have bent 90 bends and radius curves with a brake at a friends shop and we have just bent them at home with a dead blow hammer. There is not much difference in the two of them. The brake is a pain to adjust for a radius bend so it isn't much easier.

At home we clamped them between two pieces of scrap oak and beat them with a dead blow hammer.

For radius bends to fit over the pipe I used a router to round over the edge of the oak board, clamped the aluminum and beat them with a dead blow hammer. - "No problem" - get to work on your cooler supports.

unlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #8

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
That videos awesome!!
Makes me really mis the bike park....
Unread 1 Minute Ago   #9

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Nice! I'm gonna give this a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlucky View Post
I have seen too many people fall from their cooler because it shifted. I've almost fallen stepping on their coolers.

Make a set of brackets. 3" of 1/8" 5052 is no problem to bend at home. I have bent 90 bends and radius curves with a brake at a friends shop and we have just bent them at home with a dead blow hammer. There is not much difference in the two of them. The brake is a pain to adjust for a radius bend so it isn't much easier.

At home we clamped them between two pieces of scrap oak and beat them with a dead blow hammer.

For radius bends to fit over the pipe I used a router to round over the edge of the oak board, clamped the aluminum and beat them with a dead blow hammer. - "No problem" - get to work on your cooler supports.

« Favorite cooler? | - »