Experience with 13 wave destroyer - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-04-2016   #1
swimming

Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Experience with 13 wave destroyer

I am looking for any feedback from boaters who run the 13' wave destroyer. I am looking at setting up a boat for light fun day trips but also want to spend a couple nights on the river. I only have the luxury of one boat at this point in time. Anyone using the 13 for this? I see a lot of 14' but never hear anything on the 13 or 12. TIA

TrevH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2016   #2

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
It partly depends on how big of a person you are. The 13WD is the only boat in the WD series that went down to 21" tubes. I sure don't understand why they did that but I think the smaller tubes makes it a little faster. If you are a small person you can handle overnighters and maybe even a couple of nights but I would pack EXTREMELY light... As in backpacker light with a total of only 30-40 extra pounds of gear/food. If you are a bigger person and want more luxuries move up to a 14 or 15. That is why you hear so much more about them, especially is the 14WD is extremely versatile. Thats my 2 cents
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016   #3

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
I would recommend the 14 if you plan on over nighters. My 14 gets sluggish pretty fast if you pile any gear on it. I have a 12' and love it as well. I know a guy who runs a 13 and likes it for day trips, but I don't know if he uses it on camping trips. It was described to me as a 14' shrunk roughly 10 percent in every dimension.
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2016   #4

boizee, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1984
If you are on the Lochsa Memorial Weekend you should demo all the boats u can. I will have a 12.5 x 22.5 up there which is everything u describe as needing. Short and stout. I will also have an 11 x 22. Will be in the IWA group loop at wilderness gateway. Don't wake me.
boicatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016   #5
swimming

Conifer, Colorado
Thanks for the responses. I think I have one picked out. I was trying to attend Lochsa memorial but don't know if I can get a boat put together by then. I was going to try and build a frame but really don't have the hours available to mess with it and it looks like I won't save any money over buying a professional built one by the time I source the materials and tools. I just read a Sotar build thread with a link to a bunch of cat frame pictures so going to try and find the builder to buy one to have before the big weekend. I Don't want to have to burden someone by begging for a boat with out knowing anyone up there. Looks like campsites are non existent
Old 05-05-2016   #6

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevH View Post
Looks like campsites are non existent
Half of the sites are first come first serve, usually filled up Thursday night if the weather and water is good. There is free and crowded campground at the ghetto across the river from the campge5ound.
Old 05-11-2016   #7
swimming

Conifer, Colorado
It's official I am getting a set of custom WD 13 tubes. I ordered my frame last week and happened to get on a production run already under way so the wait won't be as bad as I was originally told. I got a call and photos today to approve my frame before the powder coat and I am stoked. Tubes should be here in 2 weeks. They are building my dry box Friday then I am finished. Hoping it comes before Lochsa!

This is my actual frame the builder posted this pic on their FB page.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trevor Frame.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	11494
Old 05-11-2016   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevH View Post
It's official I am getting a set of custom WD 13 tubes. I ordered my frame last week and happened to get on a production run already under way so the wait won't be as bad as I was originally told. I got a call and photos today to approve my frame before the powder coat and I am stoked. Tubes should be here in 2 weeks. They are building my dry box Friday then I am finished. Hoping it comes before Lochsa!

This is my actual frame the builder posted this pic on their FB page.
Attachment 11494
No scout bars on the frame?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 05-11-2016   #9
swimming

Conifer, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
No scout bars on the frame?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
I didn't want the model with open cockpit and scout bars, I am getting the woven floor so I can stand and move around. I will be using it for overnight trips as well as day runs and want to not have my feet stuck in one position all of the time. Its what they called a crossover boat.
Old 05-11-2016   #10

boizee, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1984
Cool, so we will see you on the lochsa. Swing by the group loop at wilderness gateway so we can check that bad boy out!
boicatr is offline   Reply With Quote