Experience r4ing small rafts - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-30-2015   #1

Norristown, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 3
Experience r4ing small rafts

Hi new to these forums,

I'm looking for info on r4ing some smaller rafts specifically hyside mini max, trib 9.5 hd, or the rmr storm 10.5.

This will be my first raft purchase. It will be used on only single day trips so having alot of space isn't really a concern. It will be r4ed by people under 200lbs. On mostly the gauley, and yough Rivers. Does this sound feasible or are these rafts to small?

Lastly is the trib 9.5 significantly smaller then the other two? Looking at the dimensions its 8 inches shorter but 3 inches wider then the mini max. If the 9.5 has enough space I'd most likely go with this raft as I have a very tight budget.

Thanks for any help!

Heidler16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2015   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Hysides

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ale-58796.html

We can ship any of these boats to ya.
Old 07-30-2015   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Mini boats are almost as maneuverable as kayaks when you're R2ing, but are easy victims to holes. I've got a mini-max and mostly R2, but lately I have been R4ing and I have to say it is amazing. We ran it with 4 down the lower narrows on the Poudre last week. It does ride low in the water but tracks amazingly with four, and if the boaters know how to move their weight it is remarkably stable. And I can't fail to mention the muscle power of four people pushing a 70 lb raft. I would recommend a 10.5 footer if you'll mostly be R4ing because it will have a little more buoyancy, more room, but more importantly because of those two thwarts giving more bracing options. Also, if you decide to do multi days the 10.5 footers are actually pleasant for three days.
almortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2015   #4

Steamboat, Colorado
Four of us took an RMR Storm 10.5' out a couple weeks ago. It was super. Super maneuverable. Super fun. Super comfy. Super awesome. Most of the time we didn't need all four paddles in the water, two of us could paddle it super comfortably through most of the rapids, and had the other two chip in when we were making quick moves or catching small eddies.
Getting ready to take it out again on an overnighter between two of us. We'll see how comfy it is when we have a bunch of gear packed into it.
But honestly, we're going to buy one. It's super perfect for what we need, even with three kids as passengers, and it's affordable at $1700 with a 5 year warranty.
I can also say that if we had an extra $1000 to throw at an Aire Sabertooth we'd do it in a friggin heartbeat. That thing is funfunfun! Little smaller, but oh so fun. Tracks well and is super stable, drives like a mo fo. I especially liked the handle placements, made carrying it around super easy.

Hey, on a side note, how many times did I just use the word super?
Old 07-30-2015   #5

Norristown, Pennsylvania
Thanks alot for the replies! They were both very helpful. Im really leaning towards a mini max just due to being more compact rolled up since that's how it'll mostly be stored and transported.
Old 07-30-2015   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
FYI- the stupid rules at ohiopyle state park do not allow rafts under 14ft if the river is over 4 ft. If you like big water that's something to think about. A super duper puma is a good option as you can go big water lower and still make the tight moves on the upper.
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015   #7

Norristown, Pennsylvania
Thanks I wasn't aware of that, I'll take it into consideration but unfortunately that raft is way out of my price range
Old 07-30-2015   #8

Buffalo, New York
Paddling Since: 2003
My friend just purchased the rmr 10.5 and took it on a 5 day salt trip w passenger and is crazy about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
amv48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
By the way, if you do get a mini-max I would discourage getting black, even though the neo is cheaper.
almortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
I feel like more and more people are getting these 10.5' boats and seem to love them for their practicality and ease of use. Also the debate seems to be between two players: Hyside Mini-Max vs. RMR Storm.
carloritschl is offline   Reply With Quote