Ergonomic oar grips - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-27-2017   #1

Bavailia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Ergonomic oar grips

I saw a thread about a new design for oar grips a couple days ago but cant find anymore information on it. I think they were called Gilmore Grips; anybody remember this or know how to get in touch with the designer?

tacobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2017   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I imagine they deleted the thread because he was posting about his product without being a sponsor of the site and/or he didn't get permission to do so before hand.

Last name was Gilman. As far as I can tell he doesn't actually have a product to sell yet and is in the early prototype stages. He said something about a kickstarter but not sure. The website is pretty sparse too.

Seems like all this promotion he is doing is putting the cart before the horse. No use getting people excited when they can't buy anything.

I've seen two reviews of them so far and one was favorable and the other not so much.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Aside from their highly phallic look, they look comfy and the big advantage might be that they feel indexed, and you would know where your blade was without needing training wheels to keep your oars plumb.

I missed most of the moderation issues, but hopefully he can figure out how to discuss it without breaking site rules. Might even be worth the small expense of a banner add.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2017   #4

Seems to me that they are kinda like training wheels for getting someone off of pins and clips or oar rites and into an open oar lock. Sounds like they would provide some assistance in keeping your oar feathered correctly but I am constantly changing my grip on the oars to keep my hands from fatiguing.
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017   #5

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
related: foam grips

Not exactly "new" but wondering if anyone has a source for foam grips that fit over the much stouter (old school) South Branch oar handles (these are like 2.5-2.75 inch diameter instead of skinnier Catatract/Sawyer versions). I had a supply of black foam motorcycle or snow machine grips that worked for maybe 500 river miles (2 Grand trips and a few WW's or equivalent) but I've run through all of them and remnants are just tatters now... these were open cell foam, very "spongey" compared to the closed cell Cataract versions, but pretty durable - they would UV out before wearing out, usually. Unfortunately supplier now out of business... Ideas?
Related topic: ordered some "Sawyer" grips from DRE , they are a little softer than Cataract grips but still some kind of closed cell foam. Had a devil of a time getting 'em onto my handles, boiled 'em for like 5-10 minutes, tried hair spray, etc. - finally figured out if you insert a real tiny flat blade screwdriver - one just big enough to fit between the grip and the handle, you can bang on the closed end of the grip with a rubber mallet and snake the grip down the handle pretty easily, maybe an inch or so at a time. Seems the screwdriver breaks the seal between grip and handle (kind of like "burping" a drysuit) and allows the grip to slide on...
Appreciate any info on larger diameter grips, preferably open cell...
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017   #6

It sounds to me like the Carlisle Foam Oar Grip that NRS sells might be similar to what you are looking for. They are open cell foam.
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017   #7

Salt Lake City, Utah
They're the same kind of foam but half the diameter I need...
Old 08-29-2017   #8

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
what about using bicycle handlebar wrap? if well applied it has good feel and pretty solid track record for wear.
T.O.Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017   #9

Salt Lake City, Utah
Handlebar tape and hockey tape - both cotton - are good for grip, not so much for comfort. They work, but if you get your handles wet often you'll have to re-apply frequently... Back when oars were ash and boats didn't have holes in the floors, hockey tape would get me through thousand mile summers. Four decades on, the "arthur-itis" and general decrepitude has me searching for every degree of comfort... and I'm lucky to put in five hundred miles per summer...
Old 08-30-2017   #10

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobob View Post
I saw a thread about a new design for oar grips a couple days ago but cant find anymore information on it. I think they were called Gilmore Grips; anybody remember this or know how to get in touch with the designer?
I was about to post this exact same thread. I'm wondering the same thing. A lot happened on Saturday. When I went back to check them out I couldn't find the thread I had seen earlier. I did manage to save one picture. You can't really get a good idea of what they are from this picture but I'd be interested in taking a closer look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grips.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	22210  
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote