Engine Motor Mount Rating - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-15-2015   #1

NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 68
Engine Motor Mount Rating

Fodder for the Buzzards:
What constitutes an acceptable motor mount rating for a raft or cataraft.
The N brand retailer refuses to answer my querie and removes my questions from the Q&A forum on their site. Note: A HP is 33000 ft lbs work/min.
Minions: step in here:

garyherballeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2015   #2

Pleasant Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyherballeaf View Post
Fodder for the Buzzards:
What constitutes an acceptable motor mount rating for a raft or cataraft.
The N brand retailer refuses to answer my querie and removes my questions from the Q&A forum on their site. Note: A HP is 33000 ft lbs work/min.
Minions: step in here:
huh?
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015   #3
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
I don't know the answer, but it is on here somewhere. Check these threads.

Link Here > Click
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2015   #4

Hi,

Most of the "jackass" type mounts are rated in pounds -- that is, the straight weight of the motor. I don't know that I've seen any mounts (that type or otherwise) that are rated for torque or other characteristics.

If you had a specific motor and mount type that you were considering and would share here, there may be folks here who have used it, and could chime in.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015   #5

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
I think 175hp is the max. After you mount it please take a picture and show us.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1coby View Post
I think 175hp is the max. After you mount it please take a picture and show us.
What that depends on wether or not you're running dual outboards. If it's a twin motor rig, I'd say 300 hp and no less. It'll be perfect for when the water gets skinny.
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015   #7

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
When any mount is relying on adhesive D-rings for retention, it would be impossible to provide any reliable measure of capacity. Any rating you might find is essentially useless. This falls squarely under the "don't be a moron" ratings system. Follow that.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015   #8

C. Springs, Colorado
Some are rated for horsepower. It depends on the manufacturer. Garelick 4 Stroke Outboard Motor Bracket | Wholesale Marine

The one I have on my power boat is rated for both HP and/or weight. (15HP or 80lbs.)

Never seen one that's rated for torque.

Anything over 30HP......you need to get a jack plate.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015   #9

Amending

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi,

Most of the "jackass" type mounts are rated in pounds -- that is, the straight weight of the motor. I don't know that I've seen any mounts (that type or otherwise) that are rated for torque or other characteristics.

If you had a specific motor and mount type that you were considering and would share here, there may be folks here who have used it, and could chime in.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Actually, the jackasses can also be categorized by horsepower limits. I find that sort of unuseful, since a 25 hp four stroke weighs a lot more than a 25 hp two stroke. And the torque characteristics of the two are quite different.

Hard data.

I have run a 25 two stroke hp motor clamped directly to a stock NRS cat yoke on a 16' boat. I have run the Grand repeatedly with an 18 hp four stroke - much heavier - on a jackass on a modified NRS cat yoke on a 20' Jacks El Tigre Grande.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015   #10

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Actually, the jackasses can also be categorized by horsepower limits. I find that sort of unuseful, since a 25 hp four stroke weighs a lot more than a 25 hp two stroke. And the torque characteristics of the two are quite different.

Hard data.

I have run a 25 two stroke hp motor clamped directly to a stock NRS cat yoke on a 16' boat. I have run the Grand repeatedly with an 18 hp four stroke - much heavier - on a jackass on a modified NRS cat yoke on a 20' Jacks El Tigre Grande.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Hey Rich. I just looked at my mount and it says 2 stroke only on it.....go figure.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote