Electric vs Gas Motor - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-19-2017   #1

Ogden, Utah
Paddling Since: 2011
Electric vs Gas Motor

Has anyone used and electric trolling motor instead of a gas motor for those long sections of flat water like on West Water, Desolation, or Lower Salmon? Can you get enough power to push 1 or 2 boats?

RaftSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2017   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaftSquatch View Post
Has anyone used and electric trolling motor instead of a gas motor for those long sections of flat water like on West Water, Desolation, or Lower Salmon? Can you get enough power to push 1 or 2 boats?
Not Likely. I would stick with gas. Unless maybe Tesla makes this electric trolling motor you speak of.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017   #3
aka The Curmudgeon

Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I used a small 30# thrust electric motor on Westwater to push along a flotilla of 3 rafts and was amazed at how well it did! I got almost 1 MPH above the speed of the current which is about as fast as you can row if you are really pushing it. I was also impressed by how well the battery lasted. I'd probably want 2 batteries to do Cataract, and use just 1/2 to 3/4 of the power setting. Using full power nets you very little in speed and uses a lot more juice.
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2017   #4

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
As for the lower salmon, you can not back enough battery power. Each battery will weight 50 lbs and the motor will 30lbs. You need at least a 40+ pound electric motor in the wind and that will drain your battery. Top speed of all electric motors is about 5 mph. Check minn kota. My 6hp outboard weights 61 lbs and pushes way harder and consumes less that 2 gallons of gas.
Old 07-19-2017   #5

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2016
How about those propellers you chuck up in a battery powered drill. They sell them on ebay. Dewalt battery's last a long time and aren't real heavy.
outathaboatBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017   #6

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Try this

in fact that deserves it's own thread
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017   #7

Ogden, Utah
Paddling Since: 2011
Thanks for the info. I'd like to try the electric motor sometime in the future. I think it would be nice to cut down on the noise from the a gas motor. But it is hard to meet the power requirements without hauling a whole lot of batteries.
RaftSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017   #8

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
I've seen several single boat electric motor cats and rafts pushing through the flat water and wind below last chance rapid on westwater. They worked great from what I noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017   #9

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1970
Check out the Torqueedo electric outboards. They cost a lot, but they haul. Check out MotorGuide electric outboards. Get something with a transom mount ... the other lash-ups are for permanent installations on bows of hard-shell boats. Like bass boats. Ebay has both, but they have their own expensive learning curve. Good luck!
villagelightsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017   #10

speonk, California
Paddling Since: 1988
I've seen the electric motors work great!push 5 boats But we go there to ROW!! And in joy being there! If you can't row your boat then don't go!!
chuckd is offline   Reply With Quote