E6000 glue on urethane Airecell - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-30-2019   #1

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1990
E6000 glue on urethane Airecell

Quick question - I have a small parting in one of the seams of an AIREcell bladder from a raft thwart, and I was wondering if using E6000 multipurpose glue would bond to the urethane and allow the parting to be glued shut?

stewart242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2019   #2

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart242 View Post
Quick question - I have a small parting in one of the seams of an AIREcell bladder from a raft thwart, and I was wondering if using E6000 multipurpose glue would bond to the urethane and allow the parting to be glued shut?
Don't know, but why not just use tear-aid tape? Cheap and easy.
cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019   #3

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1990
The tear is a seam that is coming apart, and there's a "V" shape of extra material that rises above the seam, Tear Aid would be extremely tricky if not impossible to stop the leak.
stewart242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2019   #4
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Seams on AIRE cells are difficult. The only luck I've had with them is doing an inside patch that extends well beyond the seam separation on both sides. Simply glueing it together is unlikely to work.

I am not familiar with that glue but it is unless it is a urethane base I am doubtful it will work well. I would use Stabond or Cliftons urethane.
Old 06-05-2019   #5

Bailey, Colorado
I happened to look in my Aire Lynx 1 repair kit this evening and I noticed the glue for patches was e6000 industrial strength adhesive. I haven't used it on my IK, but have used it for other things like fixing my Keens when the seams ripped out, gluing loop straps before sewing them, repairing rips in mesh SNS drop bags and gear bag, etc. Basically anywhere I need a strong flexible patch.
Beaver Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
That repair kit glue is probably for the shell and not for the bladder. The shell is PVC and the bladder is urethane. PVC glues melt urethane. Your repair kit likely contains a tape which is for use on the bladder. All my AIRE repair kits have included the tape.
GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019   #7

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
As Zach Baird says - and surely knows from more experience than almost all of us - seams are difficult repairs, period (on anything: hypalon, neoprene, urethane, PVC, etc.).
V-tape is the worst, no matter where, 'cuz it's really difficult to lay back flat with good adhesion. I've used E6000 quite often for years on dry bags and to adhere small wear patches, over webbing (nylon and poly), etc. It's fairly flexible until UV finally fries it, adheres to a wide variety of surfaces - but doesn't really "bond" the way proper glues do. I've also used Aquaseal a bunch, which E6000 reminds me of - but prefer to use the accelerator with Aquaseal for quick fixes. Tear-Aid is awesome if conditions are right - pay attention to directions. You can also get a decent V-tape out of it easier than with glue&fabric, but getting it to "cure" is critical. If you're off river and have access to heat gun, dremel, and temperature/humidity-controlled environment, you can lay patches down a LOT better. Prep is 98% of the job...
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019   #8

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
That repair kit glue is probably for the shell and not for the bladder. The shell is PVC and the bladder is urethane. PVC glues melt urethane. You repair kit likely contains a tape which is for use on the bladder. All my AIRE repair kits have included the tape.
Maybe you know more than me about this, but isn't clifton urethane Adhesive used for PVC repairs, and wouldn't a urethane adhesive work on a urethane fabric?
cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019   #9
Sponsoring Vendors

Danville, California
Paddling Since: 1970
The E6000 is a Goop product, similar to silicon seal. AIRE put that in the patch kits for many years, but it was really there for only one purpose, and that was for changing out floor bladders. The floor bladder material, being bare, coarse fabric on the exterior, will not form a tight seal up against the pvc floor pocket interior. So when you re-install a new or repaired floor bladder, the last thing you do before mating up & tightening the floor valve is to squeeze a circle of the Goop around the valve hole on the floor bladder (about 3/8" out from the hole edge). It dries quickly and essentially forms a gasket. The tube and thwart bladders, being smooth material, do not require it. I think AIRE quit including Goop because it is usually many years before you might have to mess with a floor bladder, and by that time it would probably be too old. It can of course be used for other boating and non-boating applications, but in the case of the AIRE patch kits I believe this was the sole purpose for it.
theBoatPeople is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire