Dynalite Blades - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-12-2013   #1

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Dynalite Blades

OK, I don't want to start another debate on which blades/oars/balance type is better. I am just curious to hear actual, first hand reports of Dynalite blade failures.

Quick backstory: I've had a pair for 5 years and love 'em. I got them because in the good 'ol days I just resigned myself to buying at least one (maybe two) new carlisle blades to replace those that failed over the summer. Mind you I wouldn't replace them until the whole tip was gone or a major portion of a side. I've still got a few I use on my spares that I still consider "functional" (the attached photo shows the better of the two).
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1080.JPG
Views:	890
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	7452

I had tried a pair of cat magnums and one of them failed after a summer, so when stumbled on to the dynalites, I swallowed hard and bought a pair... fastforward 5 years (to last week): I picked up a couple new 10' MX's from Sawyers closeout and was planning on simply putting sawyer duramax (or polecat, or whatever their called) plastic blades on my old oars as spares. In the process of veryfying my opinion that they are the best low cost blade out their (given past failures) I ran into a couple folks here on the Buzz implying that Dynalite's are weak sauce and break alot. Since my plan is to use my dynalites on my new oars this new found set of opinions caused me no little greif and since my experience differs drastically from this concept I researched it somemore. What I found on the buzz was several people that repeatedly site a friend that broke two new blades, one first hand reference about breaking blades and lot's of "I've heard they break". One guy even stated that he thought the ratio of people with problems was 10 to 1 over folks that didn't...maybe it was like to dislike, I don't remember but it still wasn't on par with what my experience indicates.

I know of at least 10 budies running dynalites now and of these 22 blades (including mine) I have not heard of one problem, not a crack, chip or break. all but two of these folks are fishing guides and are on the sticks 100+ days a year, in shallow, boney, fast rivers. I've talked with lots of folks over the last few years about the shoal cut shape, at least a couple dozen folks at boat ramps but in that I still have not heard one single solitary failure, other than here on the Buzz.

Sooo, I would like to hear any and all first-hand accounts of Dynalite failures. I'm leaning towards the bad press being a few folks refering to the same stories but could certainly be wrong. I really don't want theoretical opinions I only want to know what you've seen with your own eyes...

What do you all think?

...and yes I'm bored, waiting for snow to accumlate to ski on, then melt, then float on and this is way more interesting than work right now!

elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2013   #2

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
I have seen many that have begun to delaminate and were repaired with glass and resin with good results. I have not seen one broken..... yet.
GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #3

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Not first hand - but I was told that most of the commercial guides on the GC are running dynalites. I was told that entire outfitters run dyalites on their complete fleet mainly because of their longevity/toughness. Anyone who is in the know want to verify or debunk this?
readNrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2013   #4

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I've had my dynalites for 5yrs without any problems.
Oslo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #5

Flagstaff, Arizona
The company I work for has been using them in GC since they came out. As I said I have never seen one broken from normal river wear. Even the baggage guides run them, and they typically have little or no GC experience.
Old 12-12-2013   #6

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Guide View Post
I have seen many that have begun to delaminate and were repaired with glass and resin with good results. I have not seen one broken..... yet.
How do they delam? the carbon separate from the foam core? glass from carbon? just currious.

I had to revarnish mine this fall, the glass outer layer was exposed down to the fibers so I sanded them and put a coat of spar varnish on and they almost look new. The only issue is the dynel edging is worn through on the corners...
Old 12-12-2013   #7

Flagstaff, Arizona
The edges tend to separate slightly below where they leave the oar shaft and along the edge of the blades. I believe at some point Sawyer did something to fix the problem, and they did to some extent. If you recall, the early blades did not have the edge wrap.
Old 12-12-2013   #8

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
If you recall, the early blades did not have the edge wrap.
Yeah, mine only have it on the tips ~6", the remainder is uncovered. Since they'll be relegated to barn duty for the winter maybe I'll check em out and if I see any issues send them back for a check up!

Thanks for the input!
Old 12-12-2013   #9
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
i know a guy whose friend said he would rather pay half the price for a heavier and shorter blade that flutters through his stroke that needs to be replaced twice as often

I have been very impressed with nearly 1000 miles on them. I decided to bite the bullet and purchase them when I learned that they can be repaired if 2/3 remain.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #10

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
i know a guy whose friend said he would rather pay half the price for a heavier and shorter blade that flutters through his stroke that needs to be replaced twice as often
In my looking around the Buzz the last few days I found many more people bashing them then sticking up for 'em, that's one of the reasons I started the thread was to get some input. I know shit breaks and invariably someone will chime in with the "mine broke on the first day out, biggest pieces of shit in the world" post. But I'm actually curious to see how they break (cause I'm sure they do) just as much as how often (or really how durable are they).

I'm looking forward to some more data.

Tags
blade