DYI: Oar towers? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-22-2017   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
DYI: Oar towers?

I see different kinds of oar towers out there. Other than the downriver or AAA, it appears as though there are simple straight pipe ones with an insert to hold the oar lock. Has anybody out there made their own out of 1.5" pipe? I have tons of this pipe. What are the inserts made of?

Tda

tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2017   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Bump for evening viewing
Old 03-22-2017   #3

Arco, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
I made my own, but mine were welded. I think that many use some kind of modular fitting for scaffolding, but I think that there is still some welding that would need to happen, like where the oar lock has to go. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1490229169.259162.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	15690

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Atomicrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2017   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
Super cool! Way above my skill level.
Old 03-23-2017   #5

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I forgot to post to this today when near my computer. I have made my own. A Lopro, piece of pipe and an unrelated AAA tower head, all bolted together. And I've made a pair with an HDPE busing inside the pipe. I'll try and write something tomorrow when I'm on my comp. Phone sucks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 03-23-2017   #6

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
I forgot to post to this today when near my computer. I have made my own. A Lopro, piece of pipe and an unwelded AAA tower head, all bolted together. And I've made a pair with an HDPE busing inside the pipe. I'll try and write something tomorrow when I'm on my comp. Phone sucks

Old 03-24-2017   #7
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
DRE used to make the inserts. They were made out of aluminum bar stock, turned on a lathe to match the ID of the pipe, beveled over to look nice, then drilled and tapped. The pipe was then drilled to match the tapped holes on the insert. I liked these and had them on my first raft. When I got my third they had discontinued them but I talked the old owner into making me a set. They weren't cheap. He said they stopped offering them because they took too much time to make and the Al bar stock wasnt cheap. The big disadvantage of them was that to change an oarlock you had to undo the 2 screws, pull the bushing, undo the ring, change the lock and reverse the process. They did look nice and clean though.

I wouldn't call his version, and potentially the ones you've seen very DIY friendly unless you have a metal lathe, drill press, taps etc. We'll see what Elk came up, it with may be a better option for DIY than the ones I'm thinking of.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017   #8

I use delrin on mine. Chuck it up in a lathe and drill 5/8" hole.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017   #9

Salt Lake City, Utah
thanks for the responses. Excited to see photos.

thank you.
Old 03-24-2017   #10

Belgrade, Montana
I forgot to dig out one of my towers this morning for pictures but imagine this:

with a lopro on the open end. The only difference is that Mark sold me just the head (not welded to the tube). So I could bolt it on to scrap NRS pipe. I did this, so that I could adjust tower height on an ever evolving frame project. In the end, I found what worked was 8", so I bought the new shiny NRS 8" tower. The drawback to the bolt together version was that it was sloppy. The two bolt together joints each had a bit of slop...nothing horrible but if I stayed with that system, I would have welded it together once I settled on a height I liked.

My other version was HDPE rod inserted into the end of the pipe with two bolts holding it in. Exactly how Zach describes but with plastic instead of aluminum. It worked fine too, but I didn't like not seeing my keeper pin in place and as Zach said, to change locks it required some disasembly. That was the cheapest option. I will post pics of it as well latter. I went from the AAA version to this so that I could narrow up the lock width a little and get a better angle for my oar lock. To make the lopro not dig into the top of my tubes I had to tilt the towers out about 20 degrees, add 20 degrees fro the AAA hed and there was too much angle, or flip it around and there was 0 angle... I hope that makes sense.

In the end I only see a couple reasons to do DIY towers, one is to go with a non-standard size, the other is to accomodate some funky angle issue or the like. When it's all said and done you will pay nearly the same DIYing as buying production towers...

There were some other threads on the subject and someone made a loop system that used two lopros. That would be another potential advantage, redundant/stronger connection.