DYI Fire pan - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-24-2016   #1

Livingston, Montana
Paddling Since: 2011
DYI Fire pan

Looking to build a fire pan of my own. I was planning on just trying to duplicate the nrs fire pan design using galvanized sheet metal. I don't have access to a TIG welder, so no aluminum. Anyone have any tips or ideas? Can't stand the thought of spending $200 for a pre-fabricated one.

CRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2016   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
You don't have to spend $200. Partner Steel makes a compact fire pan for under $100. I had them weld hex nuts on the corners for lag bolt legs so it meets all river regs including the Grand Canyon. I think I paid $70-$80. It weighs half of what the NRS Fire pan does and it packs in half the space. Best fire pan I've ever owned.
Old 01-24-2016   #3
swimming

Coastal, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
Tip number one would be not poisoning yourself with the fumes galvanized gives off. I would start with a base metal that doesn't give off toxic fumes.
GreenWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2016   #4

Livingston, Montana
Paddling Since: 2011
Good tip
CRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016   #5

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
DYI Fire pan

I got one like Cataraftgirl because my Cambridge welding fire pan was to big and heavy. I had Partner weld the 6 nuts on too. I went down to TruValue and got some 4 1/2" bolts. It breaks in half and nests inside itself. It doesn't have a grill or a cover. But, I never used the grill anyway. I used the Cambridge lid as a wind block. With the Partner you'll have to come up with an alternative. The Partner is my new favorite, it's half the size and half the weight. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1453688679.258230.jpg
Views:	957
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	10938
It will also fit a 14" DO. That's a 10" in the picture. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1453688906.236728.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	10939
I only wish someone made a carrying bag like the NRS bag for my Cambridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dr.AndyDVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016   #6
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
My brother in law made me a beauty out of diamond plate steel with 4 big nuts welded at the corners and bolts welded to simple, tubular legs. It has a shoebox lid of the same metal and fits in the NRS FirePan Bag. It's heavy, but combined with an adjustable grill on a stake it was the perfect cheap solution that will last a lifetime.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016   #7

Fort Collins
I really liked the one the Liquidlogic guys made for kayak self support trip down the Grand. I had the right size sheet of aluminum already, so I made my own, and just got some help with the bends. I also made mine 18"x18" to make it pack smaller, but give more surface area.

The Fire Pan | Self Support Kayak Camping

I found a croquet bag at Goodwill that came with a free croquet set inside that holds the collapsed fire pan and fire blanket rolled up, quite nicely.
Old 01-25-2016   #8

Sandy, Utah
I use the fire pan bag from Stitches & Stuff. Jan did a custom size to fit my Partner Steel Fire pan. Works great. Bag costs about the same as the fire pan, but both together still are under $200.

For kayak touring where I need a fire pan, I got the Partner kayaker fire pan. Collapses even smaller than my rafting one, but only has a 2.5 inch lip. Stainless steel so it costs a little more. Weighs about 5-7 lb. depending on whether I bring 2 or 3 sections. Fits in the hatch of my touring kayak.
Old 01-25-2016   #9

West of Boulder, CO
Paddling Since: 1996
Folding Charcoal BBQ Grill Stainless Steel Quick Large Original Outdoor Camping | eBay

I picked up one of these based on a suggestion by another Buzzard. Haven't used it yet, but folds up small and is light. Should work as both a fire pan and a grill for salmon steaks .
Old 01-25-2016   #10

Sandy, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogalot View Post
Folding Charcoal BBQ Grill Stainless Steel Quick Large Original Outdoor Camping | eBay

I picked up one of these based on a suggestion by another Buzzard. Haven't used it yet, but folds up small and is light. Should work as both a fire pan and a grill for salmon steaks .
What are the dimensions on this? Looks interesting.