Drybox (kitchen) Choices & Quality - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-21-2013   #1

Fresno, California
Paddling Since: 1979
Drybox (kitchen) Choices & Quality?

FINALLY ready to pull the trigger, and looking at the choices out there. I don't want one of the cheapo ones.
But there are a few seemingly decent ones around; Recretech, Cambridge, DRE, and someone recently suggested Canyon.

Recretech shows powder coated boxes, adjustable seat mounts, and bear resistant options, and a shelf IIRC

Cambridge used to advertise something about how their tops were folded to create a better sealing surface, but from the pix I really can't tell a difference.

DRE looks to be more expensive than others, but I don't see why.

Canyon...never heard of them a few years ago, and they sell cheap ones too. Really haven't heard much about them.

So far, Powdercoated, bear proof Recretech sounds most appealing. I'm 6'0" and 230 and plan to sit on it with an ethafoam top for class III touring.

JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
I have a Recretech w/ ethafoam I'd consider letting go as it does not fit my new frame. It is around 40" wide.
MikeSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #3

Fresno, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSLC View Post
I have a Recretech w/ ethafoam I'd consider letting go as it does not fit my new frame. It is around 40" wide.
I've only got room for 36"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013   #4

Jackson, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSLC View Post
Price? Other dimensions?
wyosam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #5

Fresno, California
BTW, Mike. As long as you're here, How do you like the box? Would you buy again, or something else this time?
Old 09-21-2013   #6

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
I've only got room for 36"
Lots of 36" canyon boxes on the deals page. They make delivery runs down to Ca, but not sure about Fresno. The other vendors you will have to pay a lot to ship or get from a local dealer. Not sure what size box you want or mounts for kitchen legs? We just use a std box and use plastic organizers.

I'd go with a thicker lid or have them add a reinforcement inside. The canyon boxes are well made but any .080 lid will flex if you honk on it

On Monday I will be getting my second and third canyon box delivered.
Old 09-21-2013   #7

Leavenworth, Washington
Paddling Since: 1994
I can only say that I really like my recretech boxes. I like kitchen boxes with legs (so that is how I run mine) and I have two handles put on the sides of the boxes instead of one. This helps if someone smaller is helping you carry them from the boat up a steep sandbank to the kitchen for example.

I have owned other boxes (don't remember the brands) and I like the solidness of Recretechs work.

As an aside, I use sliding seat mounts on my multi day frame in case someone shorter (or taller) can pry the oars from my hands.

-Dan
GBWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #8

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
My rafting buddy uses Recretech and loves them. He has two kitchen boxes with legs and he had shelves built into both of them. He rows from them with no problem, and he's about your size. I needed custom sized boxes for my cat and got them from Partner Steel. No problems rowing from them either.
Did you decide on a bigger boat?
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #9

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
BTW, Mike. As long as you're here, How do you like the box? Would you buy again, or something else this time?
I purchased it used and it should probably be sold with the cat frame I just replaced as it drops in perfectly to make a seat. It is dry, though has never been upside down. As a seat it was sturdy and worked great. Handles, latches and hinges are solid. It is 40x16x16.

I have been impressed with the Frontierplay boxes as they are a good value, but thinner and questionable for a seat.
MikeSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #10

Fresno, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
My rafting buddy uses Recretech and loves them. He has two kitchen boxes with legs and he had shelves built into both of them. He rows from them with no problem, and he's about your size. I needed custom sized boxes for my cat and got them from Partner Steel. No problems rowing from them either.
Did you decide on a bigger boat?
I've decided to stick with what I've got, for now. I'm a cheap old bastard and just can't justify the price for the small difference it would make to switch from a 13.5 to a 14' raft. A 14 will carry more, but it would really take a 15 (or bigger) to make the difference I'm looking for. So I'll keep packing light, and the kitchen box (with legs) will help organize my space in the 13.5 while leaving the little table at home. And when I really need more capacity I'll throw somebody in an IK.
I really don't want to have a second raft to store, nor a 15 footer as my only one. Here in Cali my 13.5 is considered large on many of the best rivers.