Drybox/flip mount seat - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-27-2017   #1

Grass Valley, California
Paddling Since: 1995
Drybox/flip mount seat

Got an NRS flip mount seat last year. I have a frontier Play dry box. When I tried it out- it seemed like the rubber feet on the seat would dent or even break through the top of the dry box.

I ended up gluing some plywood to the cooler and displaced the weight enough that it worked.
When I look at the thickness of the NRS dry boxes they seem to compare with the Frontier Play.

Does anyone have any different intel? The Frontier Play has been a great box- but if there is no difference between it and the NRS- I might just have some steel welded on the top of the Frontier Play box to accommodate the base of the flip mount seat.
Looking for thoughts...

fcpnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2017   #2

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
I don't know about the difference between the boxes, but I've slammed my flip seat onto my NRS dry box hundreds, if not thousands, of times and aside from doughnut shaped scratches on the lid, it's no worse for wear. No dents from the feet, no sag or anything. You can always take the feet off the flip mount and stick a piece of foam or something on it to cushion the bolt heads, I have a buddy who did that and has no complaints.
seantana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017   #3

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1988
I rowed on the same set up for 100s of miles! Not once did my rubber feet on my Nrs flip seat mount (Expensive little bugger) dent my frontier Dry box! I mean not once!!! Stand on that thing its solid AF!!!
madcatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2017   #4

Awesome, Colorado
I have the exact same setup too. Haven't had any damage to my FP dry box.
climbbd510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017   #5

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Swimsuit Models

Them things are made for the 105lb. swimsuit models illustrated on the cover of SI. Throw in a real person and it squashes like a beer can.
Old 03-02-2017   #6

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I used a AAA flip seat over my Partner Steel dry box for years. I do have foam on my dry box top, but I never had any damage to the foam or the dry box lid. And I'm definitely not a 105 pound swimsuit model!
Old 03-02-2017   #7

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Most of those models are 6'1"+ like me. And while not my 195, are prob well above 105. Just saying. Back to the regularly scheduled program.
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017   #8

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
I bolted a seat to my FP drybox without problems but in fairness I reinforced under and over the lid just because I'm fat and paranoid. FP boxes are .080 as are 99% of boxes out there but I've seen many that offer a.090 upgrade for about as much as your entire raft costs. I recently saw someone that made all of their boxes from .090 but I can't remember who it was.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017   #9

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
I bought one too last fall. I'm going to try to mount it over my mad cow box. Those boxes are tall and I'm worried the seat won't fit with the rubber feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017   #10

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AndyDVM View Post
I bought one too last fall. I'm going to try to mount it over my mad cow box. Those boxes are tall and I'm worried the seat won't fit with the rubber feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
That was the nice thing about getting my flip seat bracket from AAA. They asked me to measure my dry box from cross bar to top of box so that they could send me the right size. They had different heights of flip seat brackets. Their brackets sit flat on the box without feet. I used the bracket when I had a cataraft. Once I got my raft, I just rowed sitting on the dry box.

When I ordered my second, smaller box from Partner Steel, I noticed it had a slightly raised X pattern on the lid. They told me that was to strengthen the lid. I worried at first about getting foam to stick with that pattern, but never had a problem.