Drybox elevation off a frame for a 14' raft - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-14-2013   #1

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Hey I have an 18' cataraft with Nrs frame and can foresee someday selling one of my cats and adding a 14' raft to my quiver

I'm adding a pair of nice new matched height dry boxes and will want to be able to use them in a future raft

I want a nice clean mount for the dry box (don't care much for the Nrs hangers)

Can you owners of a 14', 15', 16' boats chime in with the depth that your drybox drops BELOW the bottom of your frame tubes? Also the type of boat you have

If I fix the tabs for my current setup I want to know if it will still work in another boat

The 14' typically can take a 40" dry box. If yours can't, let me know that too

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2013   #2

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
On my NRS E-140 the box drops 10" below the frame. I have 2" or so between the floor and the bottom of the box. My box is 36" long I have room for a 40" if I wanted.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #3

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Great question Avatard, since I'm also shopping for a 14 ft. raft. I shall follow this thread with interest. I will keep my dry boxes from my cat which are 34 wide & 10 inches below the tabs.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2013   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
lo ríos
Fumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #5
swimming

Tacoma,Wa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1994
A 10 " drop fits just about everything out there with 2" of clearance. I have 10" of drop on my Orange 130D. I shopped along time and was told by multiple frame builders it is a very hard raft to build a row frame for, most said a 3 bay couldn't be done. So it is probably one of the shallowest out there in the size range of 13 or 14.

My frame has some custom design to work with the diminishing tubes. I have the Raptor Frame. Here it is shown with just my day trip benches in. I have the matching dry boxes for rower and passenger also. It is an awesome handling boat even with some gear and 2 people and great to paddle.
Click image for larger version

Name:	130D - Copy.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	6874
orto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #6

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by orto11 View Post
A 10 " drop fits just about everything out there with 2" of clearance. I have 10" of drop on my Orange 130D. I shopped along time and was told by multiple frame builders it is a very hard raft to build a row frame for, most said a 3 bay couldn't be done. So it is probably one of the shallowest out there in the size range of 13 or 14.

My frame has some custom design to work with the diminishing tubes. I have the Raptor Frame. Here it is shown with just my day trip benches in. I have the matching dry boxes for rower and passenger also. It is an awesome handling boat even with some gear and 2 people and great to paddle.
The boxes I ordered are Canyon. Nice big 16x16x40

Unsure whether I'll weld tabs on the ends (and weld up a piece of rectangular tubing spanning two crossbars.

If I go that route I can space the boxes on the sides and lose a lowpro and the bar between them. Also can weld in a step/pelicase platform on the sides too

Other option is the more traditional tabs to get the box to rest on the crossbars. Not as big a fan of that option, as I need straps to lock in the boxes.
Old 08-15-2013   #7

Hi,

Unless I'm missing something, it seems like the first thing to consider would be making sure the tabs are low enough that the latches are free and clear of the crossbars. And that won't vary from frame to frame.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #8

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
My observations are right inline with TriBri on my 14' NRS revolution...10 *or so* inches below the top of the tubes although I think I may have closer to 3 inches of clearance? (42 inches between the tubes I believe)
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #9

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Hey orto11. Can you post some pics of your raft with gear? I'm trying to get an idea of what a 13 ft. diminishing tube raft looks like loaded up. I'm trying to decide between a 14" long X 7 ft. wide raft and a 13'6" X 6'8" raft. Both would handle 80 inches of frame length. Is your frame a 3 bay (cooler, dry box, rower space)? Also, more pics of your frame would be nice. I'd like to see what the Canyons frame frame looks like and how the dry boxes attach.

16 X 16 X 36-40 seems to be a standard dry box size when you start looking. Many people run that size in their 14-16+ foot rafts. So it makes me wonder about clearance between the box and the floor? I have friends who like a minimal gap between the box & floor to prevent toes/feet/other stuff from going under them. But I don't want the box rubbing on the floor, specially on low water trips where I might be running the floor soft on purpose. Maybe I'll be happy to have my shallow boxes off my cat (16 X 13 X 34).
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #10

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
The boxes I ordered are Canyon. Nice big 16x16x40

Unsure whether I'll weld tabs on the ends (and weld up a piece of rectangular tubing spanning two crossbars.

If I go that route I can space the boxes on the sides and lose a lowpro and the bar between them. Also can weld in a step/pelicase platform on the sides too

Other option is the more traditional tabs to get the box to rest on the crossbars. Not as big a fan of that option, as I need straps to lock in the boxes.
I have the "traditional" tabs on my drybox (made by Cy at cambridge welding) Cy's tabs come out from the box in a triangle if that makes sense. I loop a strap through the inside of that triangle, and around the crossbars of my frame on each side of the triangle, then buckle it over the outside of the triangle. I will try to take a picture and post it so this makes more sense. Takes 4 straps to attach the box. This keeps me from having to loop straps over the top, and holds the box in very solidly.
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote