Dry boxes - hangers or hookers? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-16-2015   #1

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Dry boxes - hangers or hookers?

My dry box doesn't have frame hooks/tabs/whatever, and I'm debating having some welded on. I currently have it slung with a pair of loop straps, and sit on a flip seat on top of it. I haven't noticed much movement once I'm settled, but I haven't run anything really bouncy with it and I'm concerned about it shifting at an inopportune moment. Are there any downsides to having tabs welded on? I feel it would be more solid, but I'm open to the possibility I'm an idiot as well.

seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2015   #2

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I made a set of these. The work well, but took a lot of time. Probably enough time that it might have been worth my while to just buy the NRS ones...
boatbjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015   #3

Missoula, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbjammin View Post
I made a set of these. The work well, but took a lot of time. Probably enough time that it might have been worth my while to just buy the NRS ones...
I'm looking at having tabs welded onto the box itself to sit on my crossbars, not the angle pieces + straps from NRS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2015   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Sean,

Welcome to MountainBuzz. I've always had tabs on my drybox but I keep loop straps over the box to hold it in for those occasional times the boat is, uh... well... not right side up. I'd recommend some tabs for your box but you can probably get by with another set of loop straps over the box in the meantime.

Keep the black side down,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015   #5

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
sorry. posted to wrong thread...
boatbjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015   #6

Missoula, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Sean,

Welcome to MountainBuzz. I've always had tabs on my drybox but I keep loop straps over the box to hold it in for those occasional times the boat is, uh... well... not right side up. I'd recommend some tabs for your box but you can probably get by with another set of loop straps over the box in the meantime.

Keep the black side down,

-AH
Hi Andy - thanks for the welcome.

I currently have two loop straps suspending it, and two over the top to keep it from growing wings, plus my flip seat on the top. It's pretty stable, but I keep wondering if it would be worth the investment to have the tabs welded on for those instances where I need it to be rock solid and not twist when I'm pulling hard. I like to overengineer and overdo everything, so I'll probably start making some calls to local fab shops.

That, and it's Monday morning and I'd rather talk raft gear than work.
Old 03-16-2015   #7

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I understand talking rafts over working....

I don't have tabs per say, I made my box out of wood and it has a lip but not really enough to hang the box from. So I still suspend it with straps. This basic conversation has occurred before and many folks complained about the tabs getting in the way when in camp or in vehicles.

More opinions here: https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...xes-55621.html

A search for "dry box tabs" or just "tabs" will likely bring up much more discussion.
Old 03-16-2015   #8

Missoula, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post

A search for "dry box tabs" or just "tabs" will likely bring up much more discussion.
Logic on a Monday morning? Get out of here with that nonsense.

Kidding, thanks for the link.
Old 03-16-2015   #9

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
I can hook you up. I'll be in Darby the end of march. Just pick up some aluminum 1/8" x 1 1/2 angle
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015   #10

glenwierd, Co.
Paddling Since: 05'
Hookers always go with Hookers!!!

Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote