Dry Box Welded Hanger Height - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Dry Box Welded Hanger Height

Howdy; is there a standard height that welded dry box hangers get attached to a dry box? We’re going to weld aluminum angle iron on our boxes, and would like to mount them at a height that will allow the boxes to move from boat to boat to boat over time. We currently have an old Aire 156R with an NRS frame.

Thanks!

aventeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

Boise, Idaho
11" -ish. Leave enough room for the latches to rotate, and leave enough room underneath for when your floor pushes up in the water. Might want to cut slits in the middle of your angle iron along the corner so you can thread straps through the hangers and strap directly to the frame. That way you're still strapped in when you undo the strap over the lid.
Eyedaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
No, and it's going to vary quite a bit - although 12-13 inches is common. You want to measure from the top of your floor - and floor thicknesses vary - to the top of the frame bars that support the box (where the hangars will ride). I subtract an inch to allow the floor to ride up without contacting bottom of box, but that can vary as well. (Floors do get pinched, usually due to inattentive boatfolk, but sometimes just 'cuz you park on top of rock at beach, water goes down...) Tube diameter is another variable.
So no, one size doesn't fit all, hang it to fit your boat and frame and if you have to change it, grinding off welds is just part of the learning curve...
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
If you have the luxury of welding it yourself run it a few times suspended on straps. This way you can get the height dialed to your liking, mark it and only have to weld once.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
So many things have a effect on this it is impossible to pick the perfect height. Tube size, frame diameter, floor thickness, amount of inflation. and to a small degree how much weight your carrying. Change anyone item and you change the perfect height tab placement. Do you want 1/2', 1"clearance or something else. I go for More inches from frame rather than less and add shims if I need less drop (I.E. need to raise the box).
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I really appreciate it
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
So many things have a effect on this it is impossible to pick the perfect height. Tube size, frame diameter, floor thickness, amount of inflation. and to a small degree how much weight your carrying. Change anyone item and you change the perfect height tab placement. Do you want 1/2', 1"clearance or something else. I go for More inches from frame rather than less and add shims if I need less drop (I.E. need to raise the box).

I like your shim idea. Easy to shim, but neigh impossible to go the other direction.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Shims work well but they do lift the tab off the frame rail and make it easier to smack a knee on it etc. That is the kind of little stuff I always end up tearing myself open on. That said Im just a "clumsy" bastard sometimes.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
Shims work well but they do lift the tab off the frame rail and make it easier to smack a knee on it etc. That is the kind of little stuff I always end up tearing myself open on. That said Im just a "clumsy" bastard sometimes.

I do not have a welder so I build my hanging tabs from wood, washers and screws (see top photo). With 3 strips of self adhesive Velcro front and back, on underside of wood tab and on different thicknesses of wood shims it is quick and easy to change height. You could do the same with aluminum tabs, just over size the wood shims a little and round the corners for safety (see bottom photo). Raised my canyon cooler with Velcroed shims also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00145.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	36367   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00147.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	465.7 KB
ID:	36371