Dry Box Separation from Raft Floor - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-14-2017   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Dry Box Separation from Raft Floor

Anyone have any thoughts on the minimum separation from the bottom of your dry box to the floor of the raft. I have heard everything from 2-6 inches. I am running a 16ft Aire Tributary with a DRE frame, setup for longer trips, so I want to maximize my storage.

Thanks

Corn_Dog_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2017   #2

La Grande, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
0 maybe

Not sure there is a minimum. With a self bailing floor, the three different boats we use all have the box setting on or very near the floor, but with the weight on the frame. We have made quite a few low flow trips (<2') down the middle fork, without any noticeable issues. When you take a rock under the box, it does stop you, but i havn't seen any damage to the boat
salmonjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017   #3

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
I've seen a guy pop a floor like that on low water MFS but it's rare. I run my boxes almost touching and have never had an issue. We have been on a low water Bruneau where we ran the boats really soft and put 2x8s between the frame and the boat. No issues.
Conundrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2017   #4

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I have a RMR with a drop stitch floor and have not seen any damage from being pinched between dry box and rock. I run my box and cooler with one inch of clearance when fully loaded and in the water. I do this so water can wash any mud or sand off that gets on the floor. Also to avoid rubbing between the floor and box or cooler.
Old 12-14-2017   #5

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Really I think it depends on your situation. I wouldn't run it on the floor on a low water MF trip but I wouldn't hesitate on a hells canyon or lower salmon, or main for that matter, really almost any other float I'm likely to do... For the most part my dry box rests directly on tabs on my frame leaving about an inch between my floor depending on load (heavy loads the floor touches the box). I do have straps that run underneath so that I can jack it up a bit if necessary. I did that after getting stuck a couple times early on a low MF trip a few years ago. In one case I was stuck partially due to pinning the floor between a rock and the drybox and simply undoing my hold down straps released most of the pressure and I was able to spin off after the box was allowed to free float in the bay. That trip I ended up strapping the box 3 inches higher and had fewer sticking problems after doing that.

I also do a lot of Smith River trips in MT, usually at low water and I never strap my box down. I row from my drybox and can feel if I'm hung up on a rock under the box, if that happens I just stand up and it usually allows the box to come up, releasing the boat. Sometimes I've also got to get my feet off the floor so I stand on a side tube and that usually free's it up...or get out and wade for a minute and walk the boat through the shallows.

Moral of the story? unless you're running fast, shallow, boulder strewn rivers (low MF for instance) then you can run it with zero or minimal clearance. If so, then increase that clearance. If in low consequence water don't strap it down so that it can ride up and over a pinch if need be.
Old 12-14-2017   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Great feedback everyone, thanks! I think I am going to go with 2 inches.
Old 12-14-2017   #7

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
2" of clearance sitting on the trailer will likely turn into box touching the floor once the boat is in the water and the floor's buoyancy pushes it up. My boxes touch the floor on the water; hasn't caused a problem in 13 years of all kinds of trips. But a friend with a similar setup tore a couple of big gashes in the floor of his Maravia this summer on day 1 of a lower water MFS trip when he hit a rock hard and pinched it between the box and rock. It happens!
Old 12-14-2017   #8

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Personally, I've never had any issues (even on low MF) with my boxes touching, even pushing on the floor a little. I much prefer that to getting wedged underneath boxes and coolers. That sucks even when it's just a toe between the SB floor and the box. If you run a rigid floor in your footwell that can be avoided, and you can maintain a gap between the boxes and the SB floor. Otherwise, having boxes all the way down to the floor hasn't hurt my boats it seems.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
Bighorn,

Do you know what the clearance is when your boat is on dry ground?
Old 12-14-2017   #10

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I have a 12 foot rmr with drop stitch floor. With a 1.9" OD frame That my box rests on it is 11" to the top of the tube, 13" to top of frame with no space between box and floor. My tabs are set at 12" from bottom of box when in the water and about 1 more inch on the ground.