Dry box seating conundrum - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-30-2016   #1

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Dry box seating conundrum

Hi all,
Just got a new raft, a 16' Maravia diminished tube with single tube NRS frame and 10" towers. I ordered a 44x16x16" box for it and was planning on sitting on it to row. It's 5" above the cross bars.

However, I live near Boise and do 2-3 day runs per week down the Payette River. I like to keep the box packed with all the kitchen and camping stuff. It keeps it all together and not spread out all over the garage. When I go camping or do overnights, it's easy to just grab the box and go. However, I don't really want to drag all that stuff along for day runs. In my old 14, I had a Salmon River frame and rowed from a box too. For day runs I had a bench Cy at Cambridge made me that lifted me 4-5 inches and sat over my drop bag. This was the setup I used 90% of the time.

I was thinking of a DRE mesh chair over the new box or an NRS flip seat that I tweaked to use with or without a box. I wouldn't mind a bench/buckboard like I have on the other boat either. You guys that row from boxes. What do you do on day trips? What do row from when you're not using the box?

Here is my old setup. It has a cushion and two loop straps holding the buckboard down. The buckboard was lashed to the cross bar in back so it could swing open for access to my drop bag.
Attachment 11217
Here's a better look. With the frame off the old raft.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1459398503.785452.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	11218Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1459398517.954289.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	11219
And swung open.
Attachment 11220

Here's the new raft without the box.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1459398586.679498.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	11221

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1459398613.183272.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	11222

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1459398636.774938.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	11223
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2016   #2

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Pack your gear in this then take it in and out of your dry box as needed, then you can always run your dry box.
http://www.backcountrygear.com/mount...powaAgSW8P8HAQ

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016   #3

Cave Creek, Arizona
You could get another set of side rails and a seat bar from NRS. Really all you would need is the seat bar, it is just nice to have the shorter/lighter side rails. That way you can leave the dry box at home when just heading out for the day.
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2016   #4

Craigamerica, -
Id look into the DRE seat they also make a flip seat bracket that you can bolt a tractor seat on. Id have it built to fit over the box. With the added heigth of the seat you might need taller towers which in that case Id get the DRE towers. Ive never liked the NRS towers comparied to the DRE towers
Old 03-30-2016   #5
swimming

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
It still amazes me the money people are paying and buying part of a frame all pieced together and none of it works well at all. Raise the towers , oh put the lawn chair on,raise the towers more. Hey mom I just spent 8 grand on a messed up erector set. I assume your a Veteranarian from you screen name, probably make way more than me. How did you get conned into that frame. No disrespect meant but you should kick the shop in the balls that sold you everything but the raft, that raft is sweet
Riverbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #6

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbound View Post
It still amazes me the money people are paying and buying part of a frame all pieced together and none of it works well at all.
Well it looks like the OP has an Piece together frame. I have the same type. For me it is because my "piece together" frame is a great frame. It's light, rigid, versatile, and infinitely adjustable. Maybe not quite as much a welded frame, but not far either. There are some folks out that will counter that but that is mostly because they are trying to put down other frame makers in hope of selling their own... But you wouldn't know anything about that.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #7

Mesh seat over dry box is the way to go in style and comfort!
mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #8

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
DRE flip bracket- measure the distance between the tubes and give them a call. Throw a low back tractor seat on there- it'll feel like a Cadillac

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #9

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbound View Post
It still amazes me the money people are paying and buying part of a frame all pieced together and none of it works well at all. Raise the towers , oh put the lawn chair on,raise the towers more. Hey mom I just spent 8 grand on a messed up erector set. I assume your a Veteranarian from you screen name, probably make way more than me. How did you get conned into that frame. No disrespect meant but you should kick the shop in the balls that sold you everything but the raft, that raft is sweet
Hey mr. negative, his frame works well for one purpose and he's looking for a way to adapt it to another purpose. It's not all F'd up this modification would be just as difficult if not more so on a welded frame.

To Dr. Andy, I'm in the exact same boat. I've been trying to come up with a full seat bracket that carries the drybox when needed. I.e. the bracket would rest on the frame rails leaving a lip inside to carry the dry box. For access to the box you'd flip the seat forward and open the box. If you wanted to run without the box you'd simply take it out. The seat relys on the bracket (maybe better described as a frame). What I've come to is that a flip bracket, Like DRE's not NRS's would be much simpler and lighter though not as elegant as my vision. I've essentially punted the concept until next winter and will be just unloading the kitchen box for day trips.

FWIW, I have an old action packer that I move my kitchen stuff into so it doesn't scatter with the four winds. That action packer is easier for car camping too so it's really not too bad of a trade off....but I still have my vision, which would be really cool I think. Someday.
Old 03-31-2016   #10

Carbondale, Colorado
^^^^beat me to it. Get an action packer. Keep your car camping kitchen complete in it, and leave the dry box in the boat. Row from the dry box, have your raft set up one way, and spend 5 minutes loading from the action packer when you do overnighters. I like having the dry box in the boat to stow straps, throwbags etc. out of the sun, stuff PFD's in there for the drive home, etc. I really don't like rowing from that high of a seat, once you put one on a flip bracket over a dry box. Riverbound, you're an assclown.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote