Dry box option - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-31-2013   #1

Eagle Mountian, Utah
Paddling Since: 2007
Dry box option

Has anyone tried using one of these as a dry box. I've read some reviews from some survivalists and they indicated that the seal is pretty solid. Seems like they'd be as tight as a rocket box. Any thoughts?

NEW Medical Field Chest #6

Strieby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013   #2

North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I have one. We used it on a couple multi days with no big rapids bow crashing wave rapids. The box stayed dry used it as kitchen box and its nice. The divider in the middle can be removed which is cool. Mine does not seal up as tight as rocket box but its still a good seal just not 100% rocket box sealed. This is the same box I have its about 21" wide outside to outside, seals up pretty tight with the spring loaded latches. The box isn't really that heavy either I got it for 40 bucks from a gun dealer. I would use it, I'm getting a aaa box this winter.
nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #3
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I don't think they are heavy to withstand heavy pressure that you can get from waves slapping them. And an unGodly number of latches to deal with. Relatively dry and crush proof but I would not trust one with anything of value like a camera or the TP for the trip.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014   #4

-, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Airtight and bomber

My kitchen is in one, and my buddy runs his as a bread box. They hiss when opened (airtight) and I have been running them and beating them up for five years now with no leaks. Mine sits in a drop bag and have been swamped with water with no problems at all.

The only downside is the number of latches. It is fine if you are only opening them up once at camp, but they would not work to get in and out of frequently during the day.

They are great for certain applications.
heytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #5

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I have a friend who uses one as her dry box. She's never complained about it after several years of use. I don't think she's ever gone upside down with it, so I'm not sure about 100% watertight capability??? As others have said, it has a lot of latches. Good alternative for the money, if the dimensions fit your frame.
Old 01-01-2014   #6

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I have one and have used it as a kitchen box. actually used it on the grand on one trip, no flips but lots of swamping and never had any water in it. you can put all heavy pots pans etc. in one half and all lighter items in the other half put the divider over the light objects and flip it on top of the heavy stuff and latch her down, works great and that way the center of gravity of the box is nice and low in the raft.
rehamxela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #7

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
They are big, heavy, and clunky. Not real clean either with all the clasps, and I think there were 10. I got rid of mine after one trip. I much prefer the aluminum box that fits nicely within its bay in the frame.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #8

pocatello, Idaho
At the local army surplus store I have watched these for a few years. But none of them ever felt remotely air tight. and the tall lid thing seems inefficient, like a packing puzzle and physical challenge combined.
But they are cheap and will fight off splashes. If you are willing to fidget and maybe end up damp go for it.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #9

La Grande, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
Everything was dry

I used one for about 8 years. Finally switched to a Frontier Play due to weight. You could get too much gear into the box, and it got darn heavy. THis photo if on the middle fork, a buddy's raft, which we put one on also. Was underwater for about 20 minutes or so. Flipped boat getting it out, but everything stayed dry!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0830.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	7523  
salmonjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #10

portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonjammer View Post
I used one for about 8 years. Finally switched to a Frontier Play due to weight. You could get too much gear into the box, and it got darn heavy. THis photo if on the middle fork, a buddy's raft, which we put one on also. Was underwater for about 20 minutes or so. Flipped boat getting it out, but everything stayed dry!
Looks to have scratched the shit out if your powdercoat