Dry box brackets - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-25-2017   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Dry box brackets

I'm currently building out my setup around a 14' Avon and looking at used dry boxes. I've seen them with brackets welded in different places to hang off the frame: typically on the front and back but sometimes on the port and starboard sides instead. Can anyone educate me why one method would be preferred over the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

jmroadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2017   #2

Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2007
I'm no expert on dry boxes as I don't use one on my rig, I have 2 drop bags instead. The only reason I can think of to put the tabs on the sides of the box would be for a frame with double side rails. Where the tabs could rest on the inner side rail. The tabs on the side would have to be huge to clear the tubes and rest on the rails of a single rail frame.
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017   #3

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
The coolest way that I've seen to attach a drybox lately is a drawlatch like what is used to close the box itself. Totally strapless. A couple of folks in the PNW are building them this way. Haven't touched one but strapless... how cool is that?
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2017   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
My rafting buddy has Recretec frames on all his boats (2 rafts, 2 cats). All of his frames have the latch in dry boxes. He had them before I met him, which was 16 years ago, so they are not something new. They work really well. Drop the boxes in and secure the latch. No straps needed. His stuff has taken a beating over the years & the latches still work great. Recretec still makes the frames & boxes.

https://recretec.com/products/61/delux-cargo-frame
https://recretec.com/products/builder

I use the dry boxes with the front and back hang tabs. When I used to row cats with an NRS yoke, I had Partner Steel off set the tabs on one of my boxes so it would sit level on the cross bar and slightly lower yoke bar. That worked nicely. I have seen people cut strap slots in the hang tabs in order to strap the dry box to the cross bar with short straps. That's another way to eliminate the straps over the top of the box. 4 straps to hold the box in. If you did this on the side it would only be 2 straps holding it in.
Old 02-27-2017   #5

La Grande, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
I have built 5 frames from scratch and have put dry boxes in all. I would put the bracket on the end IF they wouldn't get in the way of the handles and the box goes completely side to side in the frame. IF not, which none of mine did, i put my brackets on the side. I simply used 1/4" 1.5"x1.5" angle and bolted and then sealed with silicone. make sure you round over the edges and ends, as that is the only disadvantage to them on the side. They hit each other and such when sliding around in storage and hauling to launch site.
salmonjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017   #6

Denver, Colorado
Been thinking of using angle as you described. Was a bit leery of drilling a hole in a dry box, but why not? many ways to seal.

Do you have a photo for us?
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017   #7

La Grande, Oregon
couple of shots of box an one of one of the rafts. I sealed all around the angle iron with Silicone and also the bolts. Used flat head and put head out. Non have leaked and have been in use at least years. I worried about the Frontier Play boxes being heavy enough to weld to without burnning through, and the fact I didn't have a way to weld aluminum at the time! The on photo shows two boxes. One on right on end is a heaver box and my nephew had it welded on. Mine is the other and it the one on the photo of the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1668.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	14666   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1669.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	14674  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00983.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	14682  
Old 02-27-2017   #8

Denver, Colorado
Thanks. looks very functional. I might do that. I'll probably put by brackets higher up since I sit in the box and put the angle all the way across to have more bolts and spread the load a bit. I suppose if you were really worried about it you could put a flat stock bar on the inside, but good sized washers would probably do it.
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017   #9

La Grande, Oregon
I did put the angle down so the wear happens on the angle iron not the box. On my raft where I set on the box I put them a lot higher still used two separate pieces on each side with on problems

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz