Dry bag or mesh bag for my pin kit and rope? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-04-2017   #1

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
Dry bag or mesh bag for my pin kit and rope?

I plan on putting my pin kit into a bag and stashing it on my boat fairly buried underneath my front seat. My goal is to put in there and never ever pull it out for the rest of my Rafting career. If I keep it in a mesh bag I know it's going to get wet and then dry and then wet and then dry again and again and again. If I keep it in a dry bag my fear is that a little moisture will get in there and mildew my rope out. What do you all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Voodoo003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2017   #2

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
I'm a kayaker, not a rafter, but I think my philosophy applies to all river runners. Packing your safety gear for a trip (even a day trip) is like packing your parachute before jumping out of a plane. You have to check to make sure that everything is there and in good working order BEFORE you get on the water.

So my advice is this: use a dry bag so you don't have to dry your gear every time, but check your gear at the end of each trip to make sure that there is no moisture inside inside the dry bag. Then check it again before each trip so you know what's in there and that everything is in good working condition.
landslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017   #3
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Go with a dry bag, partly to keep sand and grit out of your pullies, as well as to keep your rope dry.
I would recommend keeping your wrap kit easily accessible.
Sure, if you have a wrapped boat you'll be there a while anyway, but I have needed the long line from a wrap kit before to get to a swimmer stranded on a rock, with daylight going away soon, and hypothermia a threat.
Or what if your boat was wrapped, and no one else had a pin kit? Or you were solo, and needed to re-flip your boat with a bunch of multi day gear on it? Or you needed it for a foot entrapment.
My belabored point being, ya never know when you'll need emergency gear, or how fast.
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2017   #4

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
I carry 4 carabiners, 3 prussics, and 20'of flat rope in my PFD. If I can get my throw bag I can rig up a 3 to 1. I figure if stuff really goes sideways then I dig into my pin kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Voodoo003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017   #5

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
My pin kit is in a dry bag. I keep it attached to the frame right next to my seat. Easy to grab if needed. I check the stuff in it at the beginning of each season, and at the end before it gets put away for the winter. The kit is in addition to 2 easily accessible throw bags.
Old 06-07-2017   #6

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
I keep mine in a canvas with mesh bag. Same principle I guess as a throw bag. Let it get wet, it'll dry.

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017   #7

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
I've got the kit in a mesh bag. The pulleys and biners are in a small dry bag inside the larger mesh bag. Best of both worlds.
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017   #8

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Dry bag or mesh bag for my pin kit and rope?

Neither. Last year I switched my pin kit from a dry bag to a 35 pound Vittle Vault. I have lots of space in my boats for containers and there is enough room in this Vittle Vault to also stash a raincoat, warm coat and ball cap that are easily accessible by unscrewing the lid rather than opening a dry bag. I also use a 15 pound Vittle Vault as a light weight, water proof, easy to open and close captains box/man purse.

Tags
bag