DropStitch Floor in Rocky Mountain Rafts - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-18-2014   #1

Ogden, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
DropStitch Floor in Rocky Mountain Rafts

I am looking to purchase a new raft that will be my jack of all trades boat. It will be doing multi day trips, paddle trips and fishing trips. Due to my budget it looks like I am going for a 14 ft Tributary or Rocky Mountain Raft. I have read great things so far about RMR rafts and Tribs. At this point I am leaning towards the RMR. The only downside I have read so far about RMR's is that fact that are made overseas and they are difficult to roll and store. It looks like the 2014 RMR boats now have the drop stitch floor instead of the I-beam floor. I have only rowed boats with the I-beam and I have no experience with the drop stitch. I am hoping someone hear has some personal experience with drop stitch floors and can give me some insight into some pro's and con's. I would also appreciate any inputs or opinions about RMR's?

Thank you!

BigJed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2014   #2
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Tributary boats are built in China.. so both are built overseas. I saw a RMR boat on the Salmon this weekend (Sunbeam run) with a drop stitch floor. It did great on that super shallow stretch where other boats (14' NRS's that I saw guides running) were getting hung up. it coasted over most all those shallow spots no problem. I saw that as a benefit. They were running as a paddle crew, so I can't speak to its handling in any other way. but it looked really good and i was impressed.
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #3
Sponsoring Vendors

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
RMR rafts are available with a standard floor or for a $300 upgrade you can get the drop stitch. They have only offered the drop stitch this year, but maybe some of the folks with Maravias will chime in.

The drop stitch can get much stiffer than a standard floor which is nice if you want to fish without a rigid floor. There are no "I" beams to blow on a drop stitch. If you were to get a good size gash, the drop stitch can be more difficult to repair.

The RMR is wider and has a longer flat section the Trib. Pros and cons to that as well. Both are great boats.

www.DOWNRIVEREQUIP.com
Toll Free: 1-888-467-2144
Down River Equipment is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2014   #4
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJFry View Post
Tributary boats are built in China.. so both are built overseas. I saw a RMR boat on the Salmon this weekend (Sunbeam run) with a drop stitch floor. It did great on that super shallow stretch where other boats (14' NRS's that I saw guides running) were getting hung up. it coasted over most all those shallow spots no problem. I saw that as a benefit. They were running as a paddle crew, so I can't speak to its handling in any other way. but it looked really good and i was impressed.
I ran that section twice this weekend and didn't see any other RMR out there. Standard floor model but I can't wait to try out the drop stitch. My Maravia is the shizznit for low water boating and fishing. You can't run a super tight floor and slime over things all at the same time though. So I carry a 4 inch barrel pump and get the best of both worlds.

I did not get stuck though but one time when I was reaching for the whiskey bottle and bumped a rock. I really like the RMR boats and they keep getting better.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #5

Ogden, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Thanks for the info

I am assuming that the drop stitch option still comes with the laced in floor design? I need to find a dealer in Utah so I can go see the drop stitch feature in person. For you that are familiar with the drop stitch, do you think it's worth dropping the extra 300 for it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
BigJed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #6

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
I have both a Maravia and an NRS so I use boats with both floors. If I had my way the NRS would have a drop stitch. Like Carvedog said "best of both worlds" for performance and I like walking on them better. I also like the fact that mine is laced in. Being able to easily replace a floor makes sense. Also knowing you won't blow an I-beam is a good feeling. I don't hate my I-beam floor just saying that given a choice I would choose drop stitch.

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #7

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Love the drop stitch on my Maravia. Great for dogs, kids, and just having a stable surface to move around the boat. Pivots really well also- I see it as a more advanced design for sure.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014   #8
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
I ran that section twice this weekend and didn't see any other RMR out there. Standard floor model but I can't wait to try out the drop stitch. My Maravia is the shizznit for low water boating and fishing. You can't run a super tight floor and slime over things all at the same time though. So I carry a 4 inch barrel pump and get the best of both worlds.

I did not get stuck though but one time when I was reaching for the whiskey bottle and bumped a rock. I really like the RMR boats and they keep getting better.
Saw the RMR Sunday around 5pm, they put in just below Sunbeam dam, We were in IK's so passed them up fairly quickly, - we were camped at O'brien at the last camp spot right on the river next to the big eddy there. Probably saw you and didn't even notice. Watched a bunch of NRS IK's from one of the guide services get hung up on the rocks there at O'brien. Was a great weekend to play on that stretch. Was nice to see the river clear up a little bit by Sunday.
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014   #9

lookout mnt., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
how much more weight does the drop stitch floor add? that would be my one concern, my 16' rmr is a pretty heavy boat already. great boat by the way.
MCSkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014   #10
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJFry View Post
Saw the RMR Sunday around 5pm, they put in just below Sunbeam dam, We were in IK's so passed them up fairly quickly, - we were camped at O'brien at the last camp spot right on the river next to the big eddy there. Probably saw you and didn't even notice. Watched a bunch of NRS IK's from one of the guide services get hung up on the rocks there at O'brien. Was a great weekend to play on that stretch. Was nice to see the river clear up a little bit by Sunday.
Too funny. Against all odds we launched Elk Creek ( regular launch ) at about 3 that day. Saturday night we launched at 5 or so. I think I noticed your sporty IKs with the thigh straps that looked pretty rad.
Was that your white Maravia at O'Brien?
My wife was really concerned that someone would steal it until I told her it probably had a hitch lock which it did. Great weekend although the kids wanted it hotter but it was just right for me. Now we have had two days of monsoons back over the hill in the Wood River Valley. Crazy weather.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote