Drop stitch or Tube floor?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-05-2016   #1

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Drop stitch or Tube floor??

I am trying to decide which would be better. I know on the RMR 12 footer tube verses Drop stitch you gain about 3 on the inside depth from the top of the floor to top of the tubes. Lose about 16#s of weight 120 to 104 pounds. You have a firm floor to stand up in when you upgrade to a drop stitch floor. I also read claims that they float higher with the same load as a tube floor does. So with a drop stitch floor what are the down sides other than the additional cost?

Advertisement

Old 07-05-2016   #2

Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
floor

You can walk on both equally well ,keep fully inflated as they tend to lose air,
when going down the road and when dropping in the water.
The drop in floors are a pain to keep debris and dirt out, from underneath .
otherwise they work.
rogwilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Downsides are: They are harder to repair, they are generally heavier (Im surprised that you said it is lighter on the RMR so I guess this might not be true), They make a boat harder to roll up (RMR are already impossible to roll/fold so it doesn't matter there). Also, it is claimed that Drop Stitch is easier to maneuver but does not track as well. People claim they spin and turn on a dime but can't hold the current. Who knows, I think Drop Stitch is awesome and my next boat will have it for sure
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2016   #4

[QUOTE=Treswright3;438733]Downsides are: They are harder to repair, they are generally heavier (Im surprised that you said it is lighter on the RMR so I guess this might not be true),
I called RMR customer service and they told me the weight diff.
Old 07-05-2016   #5

My only rafting experience is I have a cat (16 ' )with a web floor, a raft (same size)with tube floor, a paddle board and a (18') dory.
I find the raft floor a little unstable when fully inflated compared to the cat and the cat is softer than the paddle board. In over 50 years of rafting I (knock on wood) have never repaired a boat so why is harder?
My reason for asking is I want to buy a small light boat so I can grab canceled permits, jump on a river and not need any help to handle the boat. I need one that works well in skinny water up to Class 4. I'm old, but not afraid to swim or go it alone, I'm just tired of passing up a trip because no one is available to join me on short notice. Been boating with some older people than me (did not think it was possible but it is) and their very small rigs like a 12' cats etc, so ready to down size to something easy for me to unload/load and rig.
Old 07-05-2016   #6

Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
Bighorn, I have a 14'RMR with the drop stitch floor. I use my raft for fishing more then white water but the drop stitch floor is awesome. Specs say my boat is about 20lbs lighter with drop stitch floor but hard to tell because the boat is heavy either way. I trailor mine so no big deal. The floor does float i measured from my floor to my frame the last time i was out and im about 10". Nice thing abuot those drop stitch floors i can get thru some pretty skinny water depending on how loaded i am. this is my first raft so tracking is hard to say for me i dont have anything to compare it too but its a good boat and price is hard to beat.
BEAVER BELIEVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016   #7

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
I have owned both and I like drop stitch better. The tube floor tends to collect sand and grit in the grooves. The drop stitch floor was much easier to keep clean, if I was to replace my floor it would be drop stitch.
rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016   #8
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
To digress from the topic like is my way, I run an 11' culebra paddle cat for that these days, and Freeking LOVE it!!!
I have self supported on 4-5 day trips, it is super light, AGILE, can be taken apart and transported as luggage over seas, handles much bigger water then one would think, and can even be paddled by two people. I have been running a simple raft frame, no yokes or drop rails, and leaving in the thwarts.
One draw back is that a cat will always draw a bit more water then a raft, but the tubes are 19", and that never really bothered me TO much. Oh, and not as secure to brace into for paddling as other r-2 cats, but gotta love having a foot cup for your front foot when rowing!
Old 07-06-2016   #9
Herm

Jensen, Utah
Paddling Since: 1966
The strength of the floors depends on how they are constructed and what material is used. I-beam inflatable floors were developed (vulcanized) in 1942, and drop stitch in 1946 (previously used as airplane fuel cells) The strength of drop stitch depends on how many "strings" there are per square foot. They are easy to repair if PVC. I-beam depends on how large (wide) the doubler is and what method of adhering is used. If an I-beam blows you have a big bill to repair generally.
Hoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016   #10
Herm

Jensen, Utah
Paddling Since: 1966
1942 I-beam floor

This is a US I-beam, it was used surplus by the Helin's in the Grand Canyon in the 50s.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30-12-47.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	11908   Click image for larger version

Name:	1967 John Winslow & boats Grand canyon - photo by Ron & Eleanor Helin.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	11909  

Hoops is offline   Reply With Quote