Drop Stitch Floor Comparison - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-03-2018   #1

Drop Stitch Floor Comparison

Looking at a 14’ fishing boat. I have my eye on the Rocky Mountain Raft 14’ or NRS outlaw 140D both drop stitch.

NRS is an insert and the RMR is part or the main floor. For the money I want to go with the NRS but I have heard bad things about the NRS floor because it is an insert. Gravel tends to get in between the floor and insert and it is an overall pain to take out.

**Right now I can find the Outlaw for 1,700 brand new. That is a $1,600 price difference**

Any and all feedback would be awesome!

Thanks.

rtalboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2018   #2
spf

Lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
I have a new 13' Outlaw.
Overall, I do like the floor. It provides a cost effective and convenient floor for fishing. It's easy to clean when you're back home, but not in the field.
I've got a full fishing frame on that boat and it handles great loaded down w wife, dog and teenager and all our gear. We just floated the Boulder River which is bony and low, and the Yellowstone from Gardner to Livingston and the boat handled everything with ease, carried the load, and was easy to pickup and load, unload, and launch at sketchy put ins.
The downside to the floor is if you drop anything and it slides between the floor and tubes...it's gone. I also wouldn't consider this boat a great whitewater boat...the floor doesn't drain very fast.
spf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018   #3
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I have the RMR, and don't have any complaints. None of the drawbacks of the NRS as mentioned above. Price isn't tremendously different.
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2018   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Had a 13" Outlaw. Few things:

Drains slowly in whitewater. Felt like a bucket boat in the Fractions last year during spring runoff. Works though, and fully capable.

Floor is a pain to get out. The little battens suck so bad. It was incredibly frustrating at times to get those things in/out. I'd lose things down there, too, like cam straps and flies (with hooks!).

The floor is delicate. I only had it for about three years and I started to get random pinhole leaks. I also started to get seam leaks. May have been from overinflation during hot days in the sun and/or mountain passes. Maybe it was a defect. I heard these same stories from other Outlaw owners. I asked NRS to replace the floor for me, but they declined.

For the money, it was a cheap boat and it got me on the water and helped me learn the ways of whitewater. Maybe NRS has improved the design a bit since my 2014-ish model.
fishingraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018   #5

Ellensburg, Washington
Paddling Since: 1982
Make the investment up front and save time and money in the long run, go with a Maravia.
GOTY2011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018   #6

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Have had my outlaw for three seasons and have taken it down the grand, browns canyon, gates, etc.

Its serviceable but the floor system is aggravating for cleaning. That's if you want to do a thorough cleaning after each use.

Got pinhole leaks after a month but they replaced it under warranty.

Honestly, it's a good boat and will do what you ask of it. Just know that by skimping $500-1000 dollars up front you will deal with some annoyance with the floor.

I'll be buying a high end boat in a couple years to accommodate a growing family but not really have any regrets with the Outlaw.
TheAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018   #7

Belgrade, Montana
Call RMR directly. If I am not mistaken they make have some of the dropstitch floored boats on sale. I was speaking with them yesterday. I have a dropstitch floor and it is probably the only floor type I will ever own again!
missiongravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018   #8

Denver, Colorado
I have an Outlaw 140. The floor is quirky, but I'm getting used to it. I rarely find the need to remove it for cleaning. Usually you can just rinse behind it. Ran the San Juan last year. In that case there was some sediment build up, so I pulled the floor at take out, rinsed there, and replaced it when I got home. Not that big of a deal. You certainly need to avoid dropping cans and other stuff in the well around the floor, because stuff can sure disappear under there. I have not noticed an issue with slow draining. The floor can be pumped up very firm, but I've started running it softer in low water situations.
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018   #9

Went for it! $1,600 out the door. Thanks everyone for the comments - for you Denver folks, hopefully I see you on the river!
rtalboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018   #10
Sponsoring Vendors

Crested Butte, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by missiongravity View Post
Call RMR directly. If I am not mistaken they make have some of the dropstitch floored boats on sale. I was speaking with them yesterday. I have a dropstitch floor and it is probably the only floor type I will ever own again!
If you don't mind a weld mark or two, give us a call.