Drop bags and dry box - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-10-2017   #1

FOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
Drop bags and dry box

So I've searched about drop bags my question is I have two 19 inch bays, drop bags come in 18 and 22 pretty standard do I go big, small or custom order, dumb question I'm sure just have never used one so don't know how much play is good or way to much. Also been looking at a Cambridge dry box because I like the idea of 15 inch height because the closer to my frame rails the better , but will the tabs make it just as high as a 16 inch because tabs are set measured from the bottom not top? Thanks for any help

Critter70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2017   #2
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter70 View Post
So I've searched about drop bags my question is I have two 19 inch bays, drop bags come in 18 and 22 pretty standard do I go big, small or custom order, dumb question I'm sure just have never used one so don't know how much play is good or way to much. Also been looking at a Cambridge dry box because I like the idea of 15 inch height because the closer to my frame rails the better , but will the tabs make it just as high as a 16 inch because tabs are set measured from the bottom not top? Thanks for any help
custom drop bag
Drop Bags
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017   #3

FOCO, Colorado
Should have known I would get the custom response, should have just said I know I can order custom, guess I should say I know I can order a custom dry box as well, I'm kinda poor, just looking at options that will work without spending the extra dough, but if it's the only way to go would rather spend on the front end then twice later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2017   #4
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Why do you think a custom dry bag will be a bunch more expensive? Call Jan at stitches, she will treat you right.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017   #5

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Both sizes will probably fit your 19" bay, but you want to make sure you get the correct depth. Check how far you want to bag to hang down from the top of your frame. I personally like the shallower drop bags because you can always lower it down by the straps and won't have cargo sitting on your floor.

Check out AAA Inflatables, they seem to be the masters of the 19" bay.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
whiskey_river is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017   #6

Go w Jan at SnS for the drop bags. Custom set up fee is minimal at best. Well worth the money. Very knowledgeable and super easy to work w.

Custom dry box on the other hand? Don't have an answer for a low budget one on that. Good luck.
whiteh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017   #7

Grand Junction, Colorado
Another S&S endorsement

I'll chime in with the others for Stitches & Stuff as I just ordered a custom drop bag from Jan. She was great to work with and for $14 I will be getting exactly what I need.
JK_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017   #8

FOCO, Colorado
Called Jan super cool to work with, was more trying to figure out the right size, as for dry box I thought Cambridge was a respected brand looking at recreated as well just buying the pre made boxes is a little cheaper and faster then customorder.
Old 04-11-2017   #9

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Well, just to chime in here, I ordered a drop-everything-bag for our cat from Ray at tuffriverstuff.com with our particular measurements and it was the same price as listed on their website and we got it in less than a week. It's now been about 6-8 years and it's still in exellent condition. Regular drop bags would probably be the same I would think.
Dry boxes cost real money who every you order them from. Custom or not. It takes shop space, somewhat expensive equipment, and expertise to manufacture them. We got out frame and boxes from Eddyline Welding out of Moab. It was a easy and satisfying experience. Would order from Mike again w/o a second thought.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017   #10

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK_44 View Post
I'll chime in with the others for Stitches & Stuff as I just ordered a custom drop bag from Jan. She was great to work with and for $14 I will be getting exactly what I need.
This, all day

Tags
bag