Drift Boat Floor Style raft frames from DRE - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-01-2018   #1
 
Kingsport, TN, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 2014
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 34
Drift Boat Floor Style raft frames from DRE

Does anyone have reviews of these:
https://downriverequip.com/shop-prod...fishing-frame/

They look like the coolest thing since sliced bread for raft fishing. I wonder how they would handle rapids and such though. Sure there is a bit more weight, but is it also too rigid? If they are built with some flex in the nose and tail, would that be enough to ensure you aren't hindering performance of the raft?

What major fail points are you seeing?

Just looking for you knowledgeable folks to poke holes in the idea before I get too excited and invest in materials to fab one up.

restes1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-01-2018   #2
 
elkhaven's Avatar
 
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,195
I have a plan to build something fairly similar out of wood, stitch and glue style, essentially the interior of a driftboat. I think it's an awesome Idea. As far as rapids it'll depend on how big and a lot of other issues, but remember, DB's don't flex... A raft may end up taking on more water without flex and I don't think it would be a good idea on the Grand, but I'd run every river I fish on with that style of frame. MF Salmon?? might be a little stiff? Not sure what I'd do there...experiment I guess. And it looks like that does have hinge points, so there will be some flexing.

All in all, it's a great idea. I for one wouldn't want diamond plate if I were paid to run it... hot, hard, loud...not for me. Wood for sure, even with the aluminum frame, but I'd build it without a subframe in my plans.
__________________
"If you dont do it this year, you will be one year older when you do"
-Warren Miller
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018   #3
 
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 70s
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 80
I've seen it and stood in/on it in the shop....pretty big and burly and not light weight....I personally didn't dig the front and back design thigh/lean bars for fishing, but I am sure you could have them change them in a production model....seemed like a one off design but I am sure they would work with you about it re seats, lean bars etc....they do quality work but not cheap
CROE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-01-2018   #4
 
Kingsport, TN, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 2014
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
I have a plan to build something fairly similar out of wood, stitch and glue style, essentially the interior of a driftboat. I think it's an awesome Idea. As far as rapids it'll depend on how big and a lot of other issues, but remember, DB's don't flex... A raft may end up taking on more water without flex and I don't think it would be a good idea on the Grand, but I'd run every river I fish on with that style of frame. MF Salmon?? might be a little stiff? Not sure what I'd do there...experiment I guess. And it looks like that does have hinge points, so there will be some flexing.

All in all, it's a great idea. I for one wouldn't want diamond plate if I were paid to run it... hot, hard, loud...not for me. Wood for sure, even with the aluminum frame, but I'd build it without a subframe in my plans.
Thanks for the input. Could you explain what you mean by "build it without a subframe"? What would that look like?

I'm torn on the diamond plate. I feel like you can get better gap span out of it per weight but wood is a very nice option too. Wood is certainly cheaper. My current standing platforms I made out of plywood and coated with truck bed liner and that rocks.
restes1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018   #5
 
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 378
Now if you could just make them maneuver better, easier to row, turn and back stroke and able to anchor in fast moving current you might have a drift boat. But then maybe it would be easier to buy a drift boat
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018   #6
 
elkhaven's Avatar
 
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrebe View Post
Now if you could just make them maneuver better, easier to row, turn and back stroke and able to anchor in fast moving current you might have a drift boat. But then maybe it would be easier to buy a drift boat
Of you could make a drift boat that could float in a couple inches of water and snake down shallow rifles, then I'd have something useful.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
__________________
"If you dont do it this year, you will be one year older when you do"
-Warren Miller
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018   #7
 
elkhaven's Avatar
 
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by restes1989 View Post
Thanks for the input. Could you explain what you mean by "build it without a subframe"? What would that look like?

I'm torn on the diamond plate. I feel like you can get better gap span out of it per weight but wood is a very nice option too. Wood is certainly cheaper. My current standing platforms I made out of plywood and coated with truck bed liner and that rocks.
That's a hard question to answer... essentially envision this without the bow or stern inside a raft.



Google stitch and glue boat building to see how that would work
__________________
"If you dont do it this year, you will be one year older when you do"
-Warren Miller
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018   #8
 
GeoRon's Avatar
 
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,419
Raft fishing frames, in general, are not intended for recreational whitewater.
Have you seen what they look like after they've been upside down probing the bottom of a river for a while? They end up not being as pretty, or worse, as immediately functional as they used to be. That thought should be fair warning and proper understanding of their intended use; always keep the sunny side up or be willing to pay the price and safety consequences.

Boats made full-length-rigid by frames when used in whitewater have a much, much greater tendency to have the sunny side down.

But my 2 cent opinion states nothing more than what should be intuitively obvious to the most casual observer.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018   #9
 
GeoRon's Avatar
 
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,419
That is a beautiful boat Elkhaven! The picture is suitable for framing and dreaming of owning such a rig.

However, after "googling stitch and glue boat building", I don't find myself googling for prices of wood, stitching and glue. I think I'll just buy a rubber boat and a DRE or comparable fishing frame.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018   #10
 
elkhaven's Avatar
 
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,195
Google Cajune Boats,. Livingston, Montana

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
__________________
"If you dont do it this year, you will be one year older when you do"
-Warren Miller
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lost DRE Paco style sleeping pads at WW Ranger Station Big Bunny Lost & Found 9 07-21-2014 10:15 AM
raft floor to rowers floor height, anyone, Bueller? bjsconstrux Rafting | Gear Talk 5 05-05-2012 11:31 AM
DRE Cat frames cataraftgirl Kayaking | Gear Talk 38 07-29-2011 02:05 AM
Fishing Raft/Drift Boat anchors watermonkey Rafting | Gear Talk 16 04-12-2011 10:05 PM
NRS vs DRE frames bth Whitewater Kayaking 51 01-30-2010 08:36 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.