Drift Boat Floor Style raft frames from DRE - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-01-2018   #1

Kingsport, TN, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 2014
Drift Boat Floor Style raft frames from DRE

Does anyone have reviews of these:
https://downriverequip.com/shop-prod...fishing-frame/

They look like the coolest thing since sliced bread for raft fishing. I wonder how they would handle rapids and such though. Sure there is a bit more weight, but is it also too rigid? If they are built with some flex in the nose and tail, would that be enough to ensure you aren't hindering performance of the raft?

What major fail points are you seeing?

Just looking for you knowledgeable folks to poke holes in the idea before I get too excited and invest in materials to fab one up.

restes1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2018   #2

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I have a plan to build something fairly similar out of wood, stitch and glue style, essentially the interior of a driftboat. I think it's an awesome Idea. As far as rapids it'll depend on how big and a lot of other issues, but remember, DB's don't flex... A raft may end up taking on more water without flex and I don't think it would be a good idea on the Grand, but I'd run every river I fish on with that style of frame. MF Salmon?? might be a little stiff? Not sure what I'd do there...experiment I guess. And it looks like that does have hinge points, so there will be some flexing.

All in all, it's a great idea. I for one wouldn't want diamond plate if I were paid to run it... hot, hard, loud...not for me. Wood for sure, even with the aluminum frame, but I'd build it without a subframe in my plans.
Old 06-01-2018   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 70s
I've seen it and stood in/on it in the shop....pretty big and burly and not light weight....I personally didn't dig the front and back design thigh/lean bars for fishing, but I am sure you could have them change them in a production model....seemed like a one off design but I am sure they would work with you about it re seats, lean bars etc....they do quality work but not cheap
CROE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2018   #4

Kingsport, TN, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
I have a plan to build something fairly similar out of wood, stitch and glue style, essentially the interior of a driftboat. I think it's an awesome Idea. As far as rapids it'll depend on how big and a lot of other issues, but remember, DB's don't flex... A raft may end up taking on more water without flex and I don't think it would be a good idea on the Grand, but I'd run every river I fish on with that style of frame. MF Salmon?? might be a little stiff? Not sure what I'd do there...experiment I guess. And it looks like that does have hinge points, so there will be some flexing.

All in all, it's a great idea. I for one wouldn't want diamond plate if I were paid to run it... hot, hard, loud...not for me. Wood for sure, even with the aluminum frame, but I'd build it without a subframe in my plans.
Thanks for the input. Could you explain what you mean by "build it without a subframe"? What would that look like?

I'm torn on the diamond plate. I feel like you can get better gap span out of it per weight but wood is a very nice option too. Wood is certainly cheaper. My current standing platforms I made out of plywood and coated with truck bed liner and that rocks.
restes1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018   #5

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Now if you could just make them maneuver better, easier to row, turn and back stroke and able to anchor in fast moving current you might have a drift boat. But then maybe it would be easier to buy a drift boat
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018   #6

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrebe View Post
Now if you could just make them maneuver better, easier to row, turn and back stroke and able to anchor in fast moving current you might have a drift boat. But then maybe it would be easier to buy a drift boat
Of you could make a drift boat that could float in a couple inches of water and snake down shallow rifles, then I'd have something useful.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 06-01-2018   #7

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by restes1989 View Post
Thanks for the input. Could you explain what you mean by "build it without a subframe"? What would that look like?

I'm torn on the diamond plate. I feel like you can get better gap span out of it per weight but wood is a very nice option too. Wood is certainly cheaper. My current standing platforms I made out of plywood and coated with truck bed liner and that rocks.
That's a hard question to answer... essentially envision this without the bow or stern inside a raft.

Google stitch and glue boat building to see how that would work
Old 06-01-2018   #8

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Raft fishing frames, in general, are not intended for recreational whitewater.
Have you seen what they look like after they've been upside down probing the bottom of a river for a while? They end up not being as pretty, or worse, as immediately functional as they used to be. That thought should be fair warning and proper understanding of their intended use; always keep the sunny side up or be willing to pay the price and safety consequences.

Boats made full-length-rigid by frames when used in whitewater have a much, much greater tendency to have the sunny side down.

But my 2 cent opinion states nothing more than what should be intuitively obvious to the most casual observer.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
That is a beautiful boat Elkhaven! The picture is suitable for framing and dreaming of owning such a rig.

However, after "googling stitch and glue boat building", I don't find myself googling for prices of wood, stitching and glue. I think I'll just buy a rubber boat and a DRE or comparable fishing frame.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018   #10

Belgrade, Montana
Google Cajune Boats,. Livingston, Montana

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app