DRE Frames vs Cambridge Welding - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #21

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1997
Can't speak to the Cambridge frames; just looked them up and they look nice! I've had DRE on both my raft, since sold, and on my cat. I love the flexibility. Stability isn't anything I've even articulated a question about, as those guys have it down--that stuff fits together tight. Not a squeak. I don't suppose you could go wrong either way, but I'd give the tip to DRE for the flexibility without any squeak or give issues associated with it whatsoever.

Albuquerque Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #22

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Actually, there can and will be squeaks. To fix that squeak get an oiled bronze bushing oar tower or drill out that squeaky bitch and tap in a Sawyer or NRS nylon bushing.

https://www.downriverequip.com/frame...shing-pid-2294

Oarlock Accessories

https://www.nrs.com/product/91043.01...-nylon-bushing
GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #23

Half Moon Bay, California
Paddling Since: '82
I have had aluminum catwalks on 2 frames I've owned and wood catwalk on one. I'd go with aluminum if money is not an issue. It usually is for me and I was in the right place at the right time to get a great deal on the cat walks but... They are hot as hell in the summer. I painted them white and they do not get hot anymore.One can of flat white spray enamel makes them cool to walk on on the hottest days. try it you won't believe the difference.

as for the wood catwalks they work great but are heavy compared to aluminum.
ckirrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #24

Golden, Colorado
Yes, I also have found that painting makes a huge difference. I painted my old dry box and it's surface stayed much cooler.

For my new drybox I use a sewed up white Naugahyde(?) cover I made years ago that fits perfectly. The dry box is so beautiful in its natural state I just haven't been able to paint it.

BTW, you can get a nasty sunburn due to the reflectivity of aluminum. Aluminum is so perfectly reflective that they use it to vapor coat mirrors of telescopes. I've burned the underside of my face before I realized it on a trip when I was rigged as a three bay with the front bay being an aluminum drybox.

Wood is pretty if properly prepared but as said it is heavier and not as maintenance free.
Old 6 Days Ago   #25

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
Actually, there can and will be squeaks. To fix that squeak get an oiled bronze bushing oar tower or drill out that squeaky bitch and tap in a Sawyer or NRS nylon bushing.

Screw Nylon, it wears rapidly and Bronze on Bronze, squeaks, and makes nasty black schmegma dribbles on your boat.

If you're serious, use a Delrin bushing instead. As a bushing material, delrin boasts many important properties including high tensile strength, high impact strength, high elongation, high chemical resistance, low moisture absorption, and more. In addition to low deflection, delrin's best feature when compared with other materials is self-lubrication.

https://www.emcoplastics.com/delrin/ is a supplier, there are many others.
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #26

Golden, Colorado
MNichols,

Actually the DRE tower insert is oiled bronze; bronze impregnated with oil. I've never known of one to squeak. The insert is a high speed bushing made for much more extreme conditions than an oar tower.

The 5/8" ID insert from Sawyer is Delrin. The hard part is drilling the tower, a bit fat bit, a drill with an appropriate chuck, large vise and steady arms like Popeye.

Oarlock Accessories

Do you have the link to the exact product you recommend at Emcoplastics? That would be helpful.
Old 6 Days Ago   #27

Golden, Colorado
MNichols,

The black dribbles is caused by bronze oar locks wearing out a soft aluminum casting that is welded to the top of the oar town. The oiled bronze bushing almost totally eliminates any erosion of metal in the tower. It is very much a precision situation, no wobble, no squeak and lot of smiles once you convert over.

BTW, the pins on your oar lock after a lot of wobble and dribbling may be scared and the oar locks may need to be replaced to achieve that feeling of precision engineering.
Old 6 Days Ago   #28

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
MNichols,

Actually the DRE tower insert is oiled bronze; bronze impregnated with oil. I've never known of one to squeak. The insert is a high speed bushing made for much more extreme conditions than an oar tower.

The 5/8" ID insert from Sawyer is Delrin. The hard part is drilling the tower, a bit fat bit, a drill with an appropriate chuck, large vise and steady arms like Popeye.

Oarlock Accessories

Do you have the link to the exact product you recommend at Emcoplastics? That would be helpful.

Umm, there is no such thing as "high speed" silicon bronze, oil impregnated or otherwise. Bronze's alloys, at least those commonly used are all soft to some extent, heat is their enemy, speed generates heat, and putting bronze in a pressure tank with oil is a short term remedy, but hardly a lasting one and certainly not at high speed. And they do drip schmegma on your boat, perpetually.

Perhaps DRE says they are "High speed", as most listening to drivel from a used car salesman don't know any better. There's no mention of it on DRE's webpage advertising the bushings.

But I digress. https://www.emcoplastics.com/delrin-af-100/ is what you'd use, there are other composite formulas, however this one IMHO is best suited to the application.

Not sure why one would use a hand drill motor to make such a large hole in such soft materiel as what DRE uses, a drill press would be much safer and better suited to the task at hand, not to mention more precise.

I should have looked at your link, but I didn't, it's no surprise that Sawyer would use a delrin bushing, everything they sell is absolutely top notch in most every respect, unlike many other retailers, and their customer service is unmatched. 12 bucks a set is a bargain, I'd spend more time and $$ machining the bushing, easier and cheaper to just buy it from them.
Old 6 Days Ago   #29

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
MNichols,

The black dribbles is caused by bronze oar locks wearing out a soft aluminum casting that is welded to the top of the oar town. The oiled bronze bushing almost totally eliminates any erosion of metal in the tower. It is very much a precision situation, no wobble, no squeak and lot of smiles once you convert over.

BTW, the pins on your oar lock after a lot of wobble and dribbling may be scared and the oar locks may need to be replaced to achieve that feeling of precision engineering.

LOL, really? Bronze on bronze produces the very same goop, why anyone would put bronze on AL is beyond me, but that's one of the many reasons I wouldn't buy anything from DRE in the first place. It certainly isn't the same business Yeager and Schell started back in the day..

The bronze will wear, oiled or not, it's a relatively soft material to start with.. To say it "totally eliminates" any wear, or erosion is completely disingenuous and shows your engineering skills aren't what they should be to be speaking on a subject with such authority.

And FYI, my oarlocks aren't scared.. Even if it is close to Halloween..
Old 6 Days Ago   #30

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
And FYI, my oarlocks aren't scared.. Even if it is close to Halloween..
But they are a custom design and casting....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oarlocks.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	40281