Downside of storing aluminum frame outside? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-04-2013   #1

Little Rock, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1978
Downside of storing aluminum frame outside?

Have an NRS Bighorn frame that is too big to fit in garage unless broken down. How hard is weather on aluminum parts? Seats?

TimEubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013   #2

p.c., confused
Paddling Since: 1978
Hang it

Have you tried hanging it from the ceiling, up up and away, like maybe in the rafters (no pun intended).
rivh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013   #3

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
My seats fare how you'd expect, not had to replace ever.

BUT- this winter my foot bar must have still had water in it cause it appears to have froze & split the aluminum when it expanded. Only problem I've ever had in 10+ years of storing frames outside.
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013   #4

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I think the ubolts and nuts may corrode if you leave it outside. +1 for hanging from the ceiling. These, http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0125xMPTLSx025, work perfect for hanging the frame. I use 4 of them: On one end I hook the front crossbar. the other two are slightly further away than my back crossbar and I use straps to hold the frame in place. I put a lynch pin on my footbar so I can pull it and rotate the frame to flat.

I have two hooks per oar too and have all my oars hanging from the ceiling as well.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013   #5

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMedic View Post
My seats fare how you'd expect, not had to replace ever.

BUT- this winter my foot bar must have still had water in it cause it appears to have froze & split the aluminum when it expanded. Only problem I've ever had in 10+ years of storing frames outside.
Good reason to add a weep hole if the frost didn't make one for you already
Old 09-04-2013   #6

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
The only problem I can think of is if water collects inside a tube and then freezes. The tubing might split. I drilled drain holes in all of my frames.
Old 09-04-2013   #7

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBri1 View Post
I think the ubolts and nuts may corrode if you leave it outside. +1 for hanging from the ceiling. These, http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0125xMPTLSx025, work perfect for hanging the frame. I use 4 of them: On one end I hook the front crossbar. the other two are slightly further away than my back crossbar and I use straps to hold the frame in place. I put a lynch pin on my footbar so I can pull it and rotate the frame to flat.

I have two hooks per oar too and have all my oars hanging from the ceiling as well.
The ubolts are stainless but they provide zinc washers and nylocks which will rust. It would have probably cost them $0.30 extra per lowpro to supply stainless all around

The anodized aluminum will be fine. Anything like a seat should be removed before outdoor storage
Old 09-04-2013   #8
aka The Curmudgeon

Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I've had a couple of DRE Frames and NRS stern frame. They do great outside, the anodizing works as intended. Over time the steel parts get "welded" to the aluminum due to a galvanic reaction, but I don't think weather makes it worse.
Old 09-04-2013   #9

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
+1 for garage. I don't think the al-you-minium will weather, but the plastic seats might not have the same fate. If you have to break down, just mark where you have everything anchored/clamped so you won't have to re-invent your frame.
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013   #10

Jenks, Oklahoma
Just go by lowes, home depot or hardware store

and pick up a box of stainless steel washers and lock nuts. The NRS frames use a standard size. Set the frame on some saw horses or boxes and spend a hour replacing the NRS nuts and washers that rust with stainless steel ones. Congratulate your self on solving a problem and go drink your favorite beverage as a reward for a job done well.

That is what I did on two NRS frames that were stored outdoors for years and after the Stainless replaced to regular steel, zero rust.

if you are worried about the SS "welding to the aluminum, go by your local sailing shop or west marine catalog and get a little tube of paste that prevents the "welding".
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote