Does size really matter? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-11-2015   #1

Bismarck, North Dakota
Paddling Since: 2012
Does size really matter?

Built a new frame for my 10.5 RMR. I've let monkey boy try it out, but the cockpit Is to small for him. The problem is he's 6'7 he can almost drag knuckles on the ground. He sucks to r2 with, he has so much leverage and strength that we end up going in circles.
Any way is there any difference in boat length as far as learning to row? I have rowed several times on commercial trips on flat sections of the Yellowstone. They were 16ft with a rear row frame.

Also planing on getting a catarat for monkey boy, was thinking a 14ft for the rivers of southwestern Montana.

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2015   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
As far as R-2 goes, he just needs to slow down a little and shorten his stroke. Almost all of my R-2 partners are bigger or smaller and compensation is always needed on the part of the bigger/stronger person to keep from spinning circles and or making the smaller person work themselves to death.

Im a little confused as to what you are actually asking? Maybe its just the typos but....

If you are asking if learning to row on different size boats matters, it does and it doesnt.

It doesn't in that when you are first learning you are figuring out how to read water, what the oars do when you push,pull,etc., what the water does to the boat compared to what you read, timing. blah blah.

It does in that if the boat fits it will be easier and more comfortable to do the above. I grew up rowing boats that were set up for people bigger than me. When I setup my first boat for me it was more comfortable to do all the things I had learned.

If this isn't what you were asking, I missed the question completely.
Old 09-11-2015   #3

Bismarck, North Dakota
Paddling Since: 2012
Yeah I'm asking about is there a good middle ground to learn to row on. My 10.5 has lots of kick and turns on a dime with out much effort. Is there a middle ground between that and an 18ft garbage wagon set up for 3 weeks down the GC? I'm all setup with that boat but as a boat for a kid what length should I get?
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2015   #4
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
You pretty much answered your own question in saying the storm is to small and an 18' to big. IMO, a 14' raft is the standard all around boat. The one boat mans boat. You can run almost any water in one and set it up for almost anyone with adjustable seat height and oar towers that slide on the frame.

The storm will teach him the intricacies much faster because the current has so much effect on the boat so it is harder in that it is easy to get bitch slapped, easy to over shoot moves, etc. It is easier, in that it only takes a few strokes to make moves instead of setting up and working hard to make big moves. It has a steeper learning curve.

Setting smaller boats up for big ranges of rowers is damn near impossible because of the small space you have to accommodate the reach comfort zone. Whats comfy for you, will have him in his knees with the oars and whats comfy for him will have you rowing at your chin instead of chest. Seats will get you only so far with little skinny boats. If you can swap out oar towers, a taller set for him could make it more manageable.