Mountain Buzz banner

DIY two-piece oar shaft?

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jgrebe 
#1 ·
Well, I have this extra Carlisle 9.5 ft oar shaft. Posted it in classifieds, but no takers.

Then I thought...it would seem to be pretty simple to cut it in half, put in a sleeve, and make a breakdown spare oar shaft. There would be times when something less than one or two full length spares would be nice...

Anybody do this?

#5 ·
2-piece oar

Mark: You should be able to accomplish your goal with a little time and patience. I have shortened a carlisle oar by a foot without much difficulty using a large pipe cutter and pop riveter. for a two-piece oar you will also need to acquire the right size tubing to create the male end of the lower half. Check out the 12" oar extenders sold everywhere, cause you probably will end up buying one to obtain this part. By studying the extender you should see what you need to do. There are also some plugs inside that keep water from entering so the oar will float.

Have fun, hanspeter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.