DIY Cooler Suspension - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-15-2015   #1

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
DIY Cooler Suspension

Anybody ever home grown a cooler suspension similar to those offered by NRS? Looking to bend some aluminum stock- just wondering if anybody has any input about the job- or would you just spring for the pre-made product?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2015   #2

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
or would you just spring for the pre-made product?
I would just forget that those things ever existed. I've never used anything other than plain old straps, and I've never seen an outfitter use anything else either. Save yourself some time and money and forget about 'em.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015   #3

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
I am with Mike on this. I use loop straps both over and under. A friend had the NRS ones and his cooler was all the time falling out one side or the other.

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2015   #4

Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
If you want to simplify more and possibly save a little more $ don't even use loop straps. Just run a strap all the way around the bay and set the cooler on the straps and rig so you just pull up on the strap and the cooler will rise. Same thing works after the cooler is in the bay just go over the top of the cooler to hold the cooler in place. You can also make your own loop strap with a knot. Most outfitters don't use loop straps, just one more item to inventory.
Old 03-15-2015   #5
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I got a deal on the NRS ones (free until he asks for them back!) and they have worked well for me. I used to have the cooler in a dropbag and I row sitting on top of it in my cat frame. It was constantly shifting. I felt straps alone would have the same problem for me as the dropbag.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015   #6

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
I want to avoid having the cooler move when I step on it- not liking the idea of another drop bag

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015   #7
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I hang my cooler with straps. I solved the roll problem when using as a seat on a Grande Ronde trip once, by pulling out the old hatchet, and making a couple of wood wedges to put between the cooler and the frame to snug it up. that fixed that problem. I suppose a permanent fix would have been to sandwich the cooler against the frame tighter. (my cat frame is welded so that would not have been an option, but for an NRS frame you could probably pull that off)
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015   #8

Meridian, Idaho
I made some "hard" aluminum straps for my pelican cooler. They are like the nrs ones but thicker aluminum and dont have straps in them. They work perfectly, the only down side is that they are cut and bent specifically for my cooler and are of no use on anything but a pelican.
Mopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015   #9

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
I got the NRS ones free with my frame. It's an adjustable frame that fits my Yeti tight. The NRS hangers have worked great with no roll or slip. That said, if they hadnt been free, I would be fine with straps only. I dont think the aluminum angles would be worth the effort to cut and bend.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Whetstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015   #10

south lake tahoe, California
Paddling Since: 1974
I run straps through a piece of plywood cut to the size of the cooler bay. Cooler sits on wood, rock solid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mountain Buzz mobile app
chiapet74 is offline   Reply With Quote