DIY Cataraft Frame?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-09-2013   #1

Boise, Idaho
DIY Cataraft Frame??

Hi Yall,
Wondering if anyone has info on how to build a cataraft frame for 16' 24" tubes. Any links for what is recommended frame size, instructions, materials lists, ect.
Thanks and Cheers for now,
RC

robcurtis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013   #2

The ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
PRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcurtis2 View Post
Hi Yall,
Wondering if anyone has info on how to build a cataraft frame for 16' 24" tubes. Any links for what is recommended frame size, instructions, materials lists, ect.
Thanks and Cheers for now,
RC
You're in Boise, so you should talk to Ron...with Payette River Equipment at [email protected] and have him price you one first.
robemega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #3

Boise, Idaho
Never met Ron, but his frames are excellent. Good prices and great work. I like aluminum and he uses steel. I'm currently building a CHIP-inspired frame out of 6061 and Hollaender Speedrail (1'' IPS). I have used 1 1/4'' IPS (NRS) for other frames and projects, but the stuff is heavy on both the oars and the wallet.

Your cat sounds like a Jag perhaps? , and I think the stuff I'm using might work for your application. With such a long frame you would need different/more bracing but it would probably work. NRS size pipe with speedrail would definitely work well, and I have two different working prototypes for oar towers in the 1 1/4'' pipe frames I've experimented with. I only have one rudimentary-design oar tower for the 1 inch pipe frame, bit it should be effective enough.

People on here will tell you to buy a frame for many reasons. What I have found is that no matter what I buy, I probably could have spent half the money and made something that actually works better to fit my needs. Some people don't mind giving someone a lot of money and having them do the work, but you will learn a lot more about river gear and especially your own practical applications if you build it yourself.

Search Chip's DIY cat frame threads if you haven't already...
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2013   #4

Heber City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
Built for Jag works like a charm!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2657691689.jpg
Views:	892
Size:	564.1 KB
ID:	6850   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1708561646.jpg
Views:	2463
Size:	668.3 KB
ID:	6851  

Soulcatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
That is sick, Soulcatr!! Nice details.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #6

Fairbanks, Alaska
Very nice soulcatr,
I am curious about the size and wall thickness of the square tube you used on the scout bars and seat. Did you lace the seat and how do you like it?
What made you choose square tubes versus round?
Again great work.
knucklenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #7

Boise, Idaho
WoW!

I gotta say that some of the things that people create and build along with the quality of work people do always amazes me.
Cheers for now
RC
Old 08-11-2013   #8

Fairbanks, Alaska
RC,
I think for a first time frame builder, speedrail or lopros are the way to go because of being easy to change. I just finished a frame for a 16' self bailer, even with the ability to weld I chose bent and swedged end members and lopro cross members because I have never had a 16 footer and did not know what I wanted.
Now I can change the rails and have multiple set ups.
knucklenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #9

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklenuts View Post
RC,
I think for a first time frame builder, speedrail or lopros are the way to go because of being easy to change. I just finished a frame for a 16' self bailer, even with the ability to weld I chose bent and swedged end members and lopro cross members because I have never had a 16 footer and did not know what I wanted.
Now I can change the rails and have multiple set ups.
Well I went down to HD and got some galvanized fence post (elcheapo . 2 side rails at 8ft and 5 ribs at 6ft. So the dims of my frame will be standard length but will cut to make standard width at 72". Also I think I am also going with the T-Clamps due to easy.

I was wondering with the Oar risers.....these are made out of aluminum so what about electrolysis with the galvanized??

Any other suggestions would be awesome?
Cheers for now,
RC
Old 08-12-2013   #10

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I hope not the fence post t-clamps. Uggh!

(they're ugly and rough. Try to find Speedrail fittings that fit your fence posts, or weld select joints.)

Electrical EMT conduit and fence posts/rails are often 1/8" different in diameter, so you usually can find one that will snugly sleeve in/outside the other. You can find pre-bent conduit elbows.

Refer to Chip's frame thread for details.

Go to Harbor Freight and pick up the Storehouse box of PTO pins. Much cheaper than buying them individually....and even if you buy them individually, they're still made in China or India. 20 Piece PTO Pin Assortment

Unless your fence posts are exactly 1 5/8" OD, you can slip a piece of PVC or hypalon (raft repair fabric, or if you know a commercial roofer, ask them for a scrap of roofing material) between the frame rail and oar tower.

Have fun and post some pics!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataraft