Discadas? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-19-2016   #1

Livingston, Montana
Paddling Since: 1974
Discadas?

Howdy-

Anyone have experience with any of the commercially built discadas, disc cookers, disc grills, etc? I have essentially ZERO metal fabrication skills, so looking to buy.

THANKS!

Bob

mtgreenheads is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2016   #2

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1983
I did a bunch of research and ended up going with Southwest Disc. I've got to say the product is outstanding. Shipped quickly (free). You'll definitely want to do your research on how to properly season, clean and use your disk. I use mine all the time. It works great on the Woodland power stove or just on the stovetop in the kitchen. These things are heavy. When you bring it on your rafting trip you'll have to consider the weight. Great conversation piece! Here are some pics. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1466355471.608539.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	11777Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1466355488.800216.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	11778Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1466355505.263380.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	11779

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
mowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
They are super easy to make from tiller discs. Just clean them up nice, weld on some old horse shoes, and season them like cast iron.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2016   #4

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I have one I'd sell you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 06-20-2016   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
I did a bunch of research and ended up going with Southwest Disc. I've got to say the product is outstanding. Shipped quickly (free). You'll definitely want to do your research on how to properly season, clean and use your disk. I use mine all the time. It works great on the Woodland power stove or just on the stovetop in the kitchen. These things are heavy. When you bring it on your rafting trip you'll have to consider the weight. Great conversation piece! Here are some pics. Attachment 11777Attachment 11778Attachment 11779

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Free shipping? Whoa! That's amazing for a big hunk of steel.
fishingraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I have one and I use it all the time. I cook every meal on rafting trips in it. I did a trip last year with 24 people and it is great for large groups. i even cook on it at home frequently. In my opinion it is an essential piece of rafting gear.

Everyone jokes around that I have sold more discadas for Southwestdisk.com than anyone else. I honestly should be getting a cut considering how many of my friends have gone out to buy them after experiencing the power of the discada.

My advice is to get the 22" model with he adjustable leg burner (I think you should support the local guy at southwest disk.com but a heads up, the Burner is cheaper on Amazon). Be sure to order the Carrying Case! It is essential while rafting.

The burner doubles as a blaster and will boil water for camp duties.

I rig the discada upside-down over my gear pile in the back of the raft. I run my cam straps through the horseshoe handles and it holds everything in place.

It makes the best bacon I've ever had, basically it deep fries the bacon. I have also made all sorts of tacos/fajitas, steak and potato mixes, the best Paella, stir fry, and a crowd favorite is Curry.
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016   #7

Denver, Colorado
It is heavy, like really heavy, but I did a 7 day Deso trip and we didn't even bring a stove, we cooked every meal on it and we didn't really use plates either. I just had people grab a tortilla and eat out of the discada the way we use to back in my hometown in Mexico (El Paso Texas is basically Mexico).

A little history on them. Discadas were originally plow disk that farmers and ranchers would cook on in mexico. Growing up I went to lots of Mexican BBQ's where everyone would bring something and throw it all in the discada at once, then warm up the tortillas on the sides or over the food and then scoop out the taco filling with your hand and the tortilla and eat. Its the Mexican equivalent of a redneck crawfish boil.
Old 06-20-2016   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treswright3 View Post
I have one and I use it all the time. I cook every meal on rafting trips in it. I did a trip last year with 24 people and it is great for large groups. i even cook on it at home frequently. In my opinion it is an essential piece of rafting gear.

Everyone jokes around that I have sold more discadas for Southwestdisk.com than anyone else. I honestly should be getting a cut considering how many of my friends have gone out to buy them after experiencing the power of the discada.

My advice is to get the 22" model with he adjustable leg burner (I think you should support the local guy at southwest disk.com but a heads up, the Burner is cheaper on Amazon). Be sure to order the Carrying Case! It is essential while rafting.

The burner doubles as a blaster and will boil water for camp duties.

I rig the discada upside-down over my gear pile in the back of the raft. I run my cam straps through the horseshoe handles and it holds everything in place.

It makes the best bacon I've ever had, basically it deep fries the bacon. I have also made all sorts of tacos/fajitas, steak and potato mixes, the best Paella, stir fry, and a crowd favorite is Curry.
Literally just ordered one after your post, so you just sold another. Shipping wasn't free as another poster commented, but it was damn cheap for the size and weight of the thing (11 bucks). Looking forward to this thing! Didn't buy the burner from him, wondering if anyone has recommendations on burners I can find elsewhere? Didn't want to spend more than $100 today.
Old 06-20-2016   #9

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingraft View Post
Literally just ordered one after your post, so you just sold another. Shipping wasn't free as another poster commented, but it was damn cheap for the size and weight of the thing (11 bucks). Looking forward to this thing! Didn't buy the burner from him, wondering if anyone has recommendations on burners I can find elsewhere? Didn't want to spend more than $100 today.
Bought the power stove from Fisheries Supply. Backordered, but they said it'd show up in a few weeks. In no rush. From what I've read, it should work well with the disc and is incredibly useful and very packable and rust-resistant.

The Power Stove - Power Stove | Fisheries Supply
Old 06-20-2016   #10

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingraft View Post
Bought the power stove from Fisheries Supply. Backordered, but they said it'd show up in a few weeks. In no rush. From what I've read, it should work well with the disc and is incredibly useful and very packable and rust-resistant.

The Power Stove - Power Stove | Fisheries Supply
Im not certain if this will work. The disced is curved on the bottom and it needs supports on the sides with a recess in the middle area.

I got the adjustable leg burner on amazon for $75. It is great but it isn't really "River Tough". One of the legs no longer extends for whatever reason. I use it a lot and I do a lot of rafting with it so I think it will only last me 2-3 years. I have been contemplating welding up a better one.