Diamond plate frame for a 14'? - Mountain Buzz

View Poll Results: Would you put a diamond plate frame on a 14'er?
Yes 19 67.86%
No 9 32.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2015   #1

Cave Creek, Arizona
Diamond plate frame for a 14'?

I know a guy that runs a diamond plate 3 bay on his boat that has the same dimensions as my boat. Though an old friend and boating buddy said he wouldn't use a diamond plat on a 14' because of the extra weight. So I wanted to get a group vote on this to see what your thoughts were.

InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2015   #2

G.Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Diamond plate is slick when you step on it and not that great of a traction device until it gets good and worn in. Pretty hard on the skin and knees also getting around a frame climbing in and out. I can tell tight away the boating skill set and experience of a frame builder if I see diamond plate on their frames. You see it more on drift boats and power boats out here in Oregon, the good frame builders know better.
RogueRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015   #3

durango, Colorado
Don't worry your far enough away from the PNW. I got a DRE 4 bay with diamond plate on a 14R Aire. I love it. Not hot, or bright. Do one trip and its dull from the slit. What does 10 sqft of 14 guage weigh? Not much. Great for walking on and putting gear on. I would recommend it.
tombonanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2015   #4

Meridian, Idaho
I built and use a 3 bay, diamond plate double rail on my 13. It is long for a 3 bay, I have an oversized dry box and a big cooler I use in it. For day trips I use a drop bag and nrs seat on a mount I made from my left over diamond plate scraps. The weight difference in between my old wood decks and the new diamond plate is not noticable. It was too shiny before I had it annodized but is pretty damn sweet now. There is two camps at the launch and take out, I either hear about how awsome it is or how lame I am for building it, pretty much everyone has a take on it though so its at least good for some BSing and beer drinking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150520_134457.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	971.7 KB
ID:	10084  
Mopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015   #5
"Just Read and Run Baby!"

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
I think there is a lot more traction on diamond plate then there is on your tube or 1 1/2" frame member. I have a four bay frame on my 14' NRS with diamond plate walkways on the sides. The diamond plate weighs about 2 lbs. a square foot so it adds about 22 lbs. to the frame, that's about the same weight as a rocket box. I think the frame is light enough for one person to move around, unlike the 5 bay frame of my 18' raft.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	frame.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	10086  
followthebubbleline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015   #6

Meridian, Idaho
These are part of an adjustable trailer frame/cooler module/camp table that I am building. Imagine how much using diamond plate to make this reduces my experience and limits my skills Fortunately I am not an actual frame builder
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150528_155029.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	10085  
Old 06-16-2015   #7

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
They still raft in the PNW?.....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015   #8

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueRat View Post
I can tell tight away the boating skill set and experience of a frame builder if I see diamond plate on their frames. You see it more on drift boats and power boats out here in Oregon, the good frame builders know better.
Hmmm.......guess I am not much of a boater or frame builder. 40 sq ft of diamond plate. I f'ed up bad.
Old 06-16-2015   #9

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopdog View Post
I built and use a 3 bay, diamond plate double rail on my 13. It is long for a 3 bay, I have an oversized dry box and a big cooler I use in it. For day trips I use a drop bag and nrs seat on a mount I made from my left over diamond plate scraps. The weight difference in between my old wood decks and the new diamond plate is not noticable. It was too shiny before I had it annodized but is pretty damn sweet now. There is two camps at the launch and take out, I either hear about how awsome it is or how lame I am for building it, pretty much everyone has a take on it though so its at least good for some BSing and beer drinking.
I see you pulled some plate off after welding - the tell-tale frame line
Old 06-17-2015   #10

Meridian, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read_N_Run View Post
I see you pulled some plate off after welding - the tell-tale frame line
Indeed, the annodizing made it extra noticable. There is a couple other small changes I would make to the shape of the cutouts now that "I know what I know now". The next one is always the best one.