Denier of raft fabric? Important or not? Which is Better (NRS/Hyside)? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 02-14-2019   #1
Owner: Class 5 Carvings

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Denier of raft fabric? Important or not? Which is Better (NRS/Hyside)?

Looking to get a new 16' boat this year, and really stuck between the Hyside Pro 16xt and the NRS E-160/162.

I have had both Hyside and NRS boats in the past, tend to lean towards Hyside for brand loyalty but willing to go NRS if in the end it's a better and more durable boat.

My question is how much does Denier really matter to the strength of a boat.

Hyside Pro line boats are 2520 Denier
NRS E-Series boats are 1670 Denier

Are Hysides that much more bomber because of the Denier? The Hyside is only 149lbs where the NRS is 188lbs. I assume this is because NRS ads another layer of gum rubber to the bottom and Hyside just uses urethane on the bottom. Or is the Hyside able to be lighter because its fabric is so much stronger they use fewer layers?

Anyway, I have messed around with 3 wrong-sized rafts in the past so this one I think is going to be the final one I buy and own for decades, I'd love to get this decision right. I prefer durability and strength to weight, so the big question is, which is better?

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2019   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
The denier is important. It is the "ripstop" material of the boat known as the scrim. That said, even though denier is a number that should be measured the same and based on the same thing Im not sure that it is brand to brand. Manufactures may just make up the number they want to put down, base it on layers, etc. The scrim on both Hyside and NRS is good, and thats what you need to know. I have never had the denier actually measured.

My preference,for durability of material, with two 2019 boats sitting in front of me would be Hyside. I think they have a thicker Hypalon coating on their scrim material and it seems less soft and more abrasion resistant. Don't get me wrong NRS will be a fine boat and will last a lifetime if it is taken care of, I just prefer Hysides material. There are some other features that I like on an NRS better but if we are talking material, I like Hyside.
Old 02-14-2019   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Zach, thanks for your reply, I appreciate that.

I'd love to hear your other features, I know I just asked about material, but I guess I'd like a full picture of how you compare these two boats since dimensions-wise they are basically the same.
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2019   #4

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
I have a new Hyside 16' XT that I just finished rigging for this season. I got it to to replace my Avon Pro that was getting a little long in the tooth. I chose the Hyside as it seemed to be closest to the Pro in specs and I like a glued in floor rather than laced in.
It did come wider than factory specs by an inch so it measures 49" inside rather than 48" as stated by the factory. I haven't had it on the water yet to see how it rows but it does have a longer waterline than the Pro by 6 inches and a more stubby bow and stern profile. It will take a longer frame if that is a factor in your decision. I outfitted mine with a 86" frame but could have went to 91 or 92 but didn't want to give up the bow and stern space.
I did not want thwarts so ordered it without. One thing I did was add a center D ring as it comes with only two outside d rings for frame tie down. I does have two large D rings on the inner tube but I found then to just be in the way.
dsrtrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Dstrat, I'd love to see a pic if you have one.

I am honestly leaning toward the Hyside, but it's a big purchase so I want to get it right.

Right when I thought I had it figured out, the RMR rep chatted me and got me thinking about a 16' RMR which I had never really look at seriously in the past. But after some extensive reading, they seem bomber and are half the price of a Hyside...

Not saying I am going that route but it sure is interesting for the money to at least compare the two. The 16XT, E-160 and RMR 16 are all basically the exact dimensions. RMR has a drop stitch floor which can have some benefits as well, but never owned a PVC boat so not sure I want to switch over.

I know there are tons of threads about this on here, I have read most of all of them, but I still appreciate other's thoughts on the topic, so thanks and if you recommend one over another let me know. Durability and longevity are really king here, a 16' raft is not hyper maneuverable anyway, so not too concerned with how it rows.

I know others think it's crazy to spend the money on a Hyside or NRS when RMR or Trib makes a boat for half the price that gets you basically the same experience, and although I've always sided with buying the best you can afford is it really worth it when one is $3K more than the other? That was more significant of a price difference than I had thought.
Old 02-14-2019   #6

Newman Lake, Washington
Paddling Since: 2010
I bought the 16 XT Pro last year. I was pleasantly surprised by its maneuverability. It has a rocker profile similar to a Sotar SL. If you look at the Hyside website you will see that the 16 XT Pro has seven panels in the bow and stern, compared to five in almost all of the other Hysides.

The majority of the Hysides have 1680 denier fabric. The pro series seems to have the 2520 denier.

As far as the weight, the Hyside weighs only five pounds more than the 14' Vanguard it replaced.

I am very happy with my XT Pro and I would buy it again.
athelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019   #7

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
I was in the exact same spot two years ago. I chose the hyside 16xt. After much research, I found that hysides material is known to be stronger/tougher. Also, nrs only puts two d rings on each side. Most outfitters that rent nrs boats add more d rings for their big water fleets. Hyside comes stock with 4 on each side (2 outside tube, two inside tube).Both factories are out of the US. Nrs- tecate Mexico. Hyside- South Korea.

I researched for over three months. Back and forth. The other brand I considered was aire. I didn’t choose aire because I mostly row muddy water and saw first hand a large amount of sand in my old aire cat tubes. It’s not a deal killer, just more end of season maintenance (cleaning out internal compartments).

I’m excited to see where these RMR boats will be in ten years. If we see them holding strong, then maybe they are worth it. I wasn’t willing to gamble since they are a relatively new company. My good times on the river aren’t worth the gamble. Time will tell.

I chose hyside and am happy with my decision. Still on the fence about the color, but the wife loves it.

Tda
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EDE7A764-CD27-4F64-B2BD-572D201E19ED.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	685.3 KB
ID:	33101   Click image for larger version

Name:	0C2180B3-CA6F-4C00-8B2E-20C1AB102B93.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	732.2 KB
ID:	33103  

Name:	BBE2E807-0471-4445-AB12-FBD66861F0CC.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	33105  
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
I like the green, I had a 2017 14XT in green, sold it this fall to go bigger.

To be honest, at this point I think NRS is out. Sounds confirmed that Hyside seems to have better fabric and material.

t may actually be between the Hyside and the RMR, not saying RMR is better quality than an NRS, but the price is pretty amazing and the dimensions are the same as the 16XT.

Tough call here, spend big and know I have a raft for 25+ years to come, or settle for saving a bit. They'll both get me down the river I assume.
Old 02-14-2019   #9

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
Here you go you wanted to see the boat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hyside 1.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	33107  
dsrtrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019   #10

Fort Collins, Colorado
Thanks. Nice looking boat. I want the gray as well. Hard choice here haha.

What kind of trailer is that, nice looking too.