Decking --- Lopro Cutouts - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-01-2015   #1

Portland, Oregon
Decking --- Lopro Cutouts

For those of you that have build your own decking for NRS frames how much space did you leave around the lopro for the cutouts? Did you give yourself a healthy margin of error or did you dial it in to the millimeter?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

PDX Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2015   #2

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Cut one shallow- lay the deck on your rails. Try to get a socket and a wrench onto the bolts for tightening (may have one or the other available when the need arises). Adjust the depth of your cutout from there. Duplicate that on all the other sections for a nice symmetrical look. Give yourself enough fore-aft range for future adjustments and tweaking.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015   #3

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I don't really follow Osseous's recommendation (maybe referring to tightening the thru bolt?), but I try to keep them fairly close to the sides of the lowpro, I wouldn't say to the mm, but within a few. Access to the ubolt nuts are from the top, so side clearance really doesn't play a factor in tightening the lowpro to the side rail.

I posted the photo below last year showing the whole rig, pardon the strange shape, it was taken from above in panorama mode to get the whole thing in one photo. You will notice I scribed the notches fairly tight and cut some secondary notches to allow access for adding straps. I would cut the access notches a little deeper the next time around (these were cut 1.5" back from the edge as I recall; I'll probably go 2.5 next time). They can still be hard to get your fingers in to grab or push straps under the frame.

Have fun tinkering!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2015   #4

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
2" x 3" clears forged lopros nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150421_200535.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	957.8 KB
ID:	9793  
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015   #5

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
After seeing seantanna's post I measured my decking in the basement. 2"x3". Works good, looks good, easy.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015   #6

pocatello, Idaho
I leave plenty of wiggle room. While I like to think I have my load dialed in someone always shows up with something weird forcing a bigger cooler, a different drybox or some other minor tweak.

If it is on a cat allow for a ton of wiggle to tune in the trim.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015   #7

Portland, Oregon
Very helpful --- when I get this all pulled together in like 67 years will post pics

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
PDX Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015   #8

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 93
seantana and elk haven what material decking is that? can you possible share a link. thanks
topbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015   #9

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by topbud View Post
seantana and elk haven what material decking is that? can you possible share a link. thanks
Mine is 1/2" HDPE that I had custom made by a local sign/plastic shop. Cost me $100, but it's pretty much indestructible and doesn't really need anything as far as upkeep.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015   #10

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by topbud View Post
I used 1/2" CDX plywood covered with behr deckover paint. It's a little thin and has cracked in a few places. It was originally intended to be temporary and I'm in the process of replacing it with 3/4" ACX. I really like the texture of the deckover but it hasn't held up all that well. In the past on other boats I've simply used latex porch and deck enamel with sand sprinkled over the last coat then rolled into the paint with a roller.

I'd be curious to hear how seantana's hdpe is for weight and stiffness. It's noticeably heavier than plywood and I heard it is affected by heat and needs more support.