Deck material for bighorn frame - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-18-2014   #1

Little Rock, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1978
Deck material for bighorn frame

Saw Ironmanboulder's frame for sale. Wondering: what is deck material and is it bolted thru frame cross bars. Wife wants a deck up front with a pad.

TimEubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014   #2

Jenks, Oklahoma
Hi Tim,

Tim, over the years I have had good luck with cutting plywood to fit over the frame rails, then drilling 3//4 to 1 inch holes thru the plywood on both sides of the appropriate bars and using cam straps to secure the plywood to the frame. I do not recommend drilling holes into frame rails. Marine plywood is the best (and most money) but "green" plywood will work for a few years till the glue goes bad. A little bit of varnish and the plywood looks good.

I have used the coast guard throwable pads (most rivers want you to have one anyway) with a cam strap to secure them to the plywood or glued closed cell foam to the top with weldwood glue. there is a good place to buy foam online I have used. email me for that.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #3

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimEubanks View Post
Saw Ironmanboulder's frame for sale. Wondering: what is deck material and is it bolted thru frame cross bars. Wife wants a deck up front with a pad.
Decks are made out plywood w/grizzlygrip sprayed on.
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014   #4
swimming

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
If you have access to skidguard plywood I have seen alot of that used before.
Riverbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #5

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
I used non marine grade plywood and put truck bed liner on it after someone here recommended it. It still looks new after two years and a Grand trip.

Kyle
Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #6

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I made a couple floor boards out of plywood and marine plywood. I also had NRS make me a couple small skid guard floors for my cataraft. I never liked securing them with cam straps though. I never could get them tight and secure without a bit of wiggle. The strap slots may not have been spaced right to get the cam straps tightened down enough. I found extra heavy duty zip ties at Home Depot. They are kind of long, but when I wrapped them around twice they were just about right. They were way tighter than the cam straps. My cat floors didn't budge. In three years, I never had one break. The down side is that you can't just take them off like cam straps, you have to cut them off. Up side is that you'll never sit or step on a blazing hot cam buckle on a summer trip.
Old 01-20-2014   #7

DGO, CO
Paddling Since: 2002
i used Behr Deck Over on my wood decking and it worked out awesome! leaves a nice tacky surface. not bad on bare feet and there is no way your gonna slip on it. it is also holds up great to wear and tear. i would highly recommend using this stuff instead of varnish, paint etc....

DECKOVER - Wood Stains | Behr Paint
Old 01-21-2014   #8

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggins View Post
I used non marine grade plywood and put truck bed liner on it after someone here recommended it. It still looks new after two years and a Grand trip.

Kyle
Were you able to find any truck bed liner that wasn't black? That's really the only reason I've held off on it.
yesimapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #9

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Bed liner vs Deck restoration

For those unfamiliar the patio and deck restoration coatings i.e. Behr Deckover, Rustoleum Restore, etc are very similar to truck bed linings, though maybe a somewhat softer. They come in a variety of colors and are designed for wood vs metal as in bed liners. I have seen roll on bed liners used on wood (not rafts) with poor success. The roll on bedliner is not nearly as robust as the spray on varieties used by profesionals.

I have not used the deck restoration products but I have done a bit of research. What I've found is that they are designed to bond to poruous material, where as bed liners are designed for non-porous material.

I intend to use one of the deck products (whichever one I can get with the lightest texture) for my decks latter this winter. FWIW.

I would love to hear some response for someone that has used both and can offer a direct comparison.
elkhaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #10

DGO, CO
Paddling Since: 2002
trust me. Behr Deckover and not truck bed liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesimapirate View Post
Were you able to find any truck bed liner that wasn't black? That's really the only reason I've held off on it.