Cutting your Latex Gaskets?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-20-2016   #1

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Cutting your Latex Gaskets??

I didn't have my last drysuit very long, but when I tried it on I noticed that the neck gasket kept rolling down my neck creating a ring that was much too tight. I read about cutting it but that really worries me. I also saw how to stretch it out but I never did do that. So I'm wondering how did you try/stretch out your gasket before deciding to cut a ring or two out of it.

ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2016   #2

Central Point, Oregon
Do NOT cut!
Whitewater Worthy Equip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016   #3

Jackson, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewater Worthy Equip View Post
Do NOT cut!

Got some rational? I've never had a problem. New gasket, I cut a little, stretch a little, then it's comfortable and water tight for the life of the gasket. I have a fairly thick neck, and uncut, a new kokotat large neck is unwearable, and I tried stretching one once to get the same fit, and it was the shortest lived gasket I've experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wyosam is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2016   #4

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I stretch mine around a 1 gallon bucket which original had dry wall putty. I think I forgot about it and took it off week later. Still was tight but after a few uses never bothered me. Also had issue with the roll over and would just mess with it till i found the sweet spot.

I always notice that choking feeling when putting it on but 5 mins on the water and I totally forget about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016   #5

Creswell, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
I've replaced many a drysuit gasket, and have had to trim several. If you are going to trim a gasket, I'd do it a little at a time because it makes a big difference on how tight it is just trimming a small portion. If you trim it to where is totally comfortable, in time it will stretch out and be too loose. Also you need to make a clean cut without any nicks or those nicks will make the gasket tear easily at that spot. It's best too first try to stretch it out on a jar or the likes that is wider than your neck. It doesn't take much trimming to get to that " oh crap stage, I trimmed too much."/
Ezcruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016   #6

Meridian, Idaho
My nrs extreme was unwearable. I am a fat necked bastard though. Stretched it, then cut 2 rings out and it is still tight but seals well and is wearable. Only cut a little and try it, 2 rings is probably less than 3/8" and made a big difference.
Mopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016   #7

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Find something the same size as your neck or slightly larger, kitchen pot or jug stretch it over that for a couple days. If you want to cut it, it is easy to do while it is stretched over something. I use a razor blade and follow the rings. That makes a nice cut that will not tear
Old 03-20-2016   #8

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
When I get another suit, I've decided I'll try to stretch it first and wear it for a few trips. Then if needed I'll cut a ring out of it and start the process over again until it's wearable. Thanks everyone.

On a different note, how often do you wax your zipper? Do you wax the whole zipper or just the starting portion that goes into the car/box? Thanks
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1coby View Post
When I get another suit, I've decided I'll try to stretch it first and wear it for a few trips. Then if needed I'll cut a ring out of it and start the process over again until it's wearable. Thanks everyone.

On a different note, how often do you wax your zipper? Do you wax the whole zipper or just the starting portion that goes into the car/box? Thanks
Depends on if its a metal or plastic zipper. Metal you do whole zipper with McNetts zip tech and plastic you can put where the zipper locks in. Also you can use vasoline in zipper lock to help seal. Wash zipper really good before you put wax on and do it often. River grit ruins them.
Old 03-21-2016   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamboatBORN View Post
Depends on if its a metal or plastic zipper. Metal you do whole zipper with McNetts zip tech and plastic you can put where the zipper locks in. Also you can use vasoline in zipper lock to help seal. Wash zipper really good before you put wax on and do it often. River grit ruins them.
Great video from Kokatat about dry-suit care. https://kokatat.com/support/product-use-care

From Kokatat:
"The zipper is one of the most sensitive components of your drysuit. Treat it carefully. The most common causes of zipper leakage are failure to close the zipper firmly, or dirt in the zipper teeth or closing end.

1. Pull the zipper in a straight line, in a smooth and even motion. Avoid yanking or pulling to the side. Have another person help you if you cannot easily reach any part of the zipper. Be especially gentle in colder air and water temperatures.

2. Never force a jammed zipper. Unzip, examine the jammed point for obstruction or damage, then carefully try again. Zipping over a piece of dirt or underclothes can derail the teeth and ruin the zipper.

3. The zipper is most vulnerable to damage when you are getting in and out of your suit. Be sure the zipper is open completely, and try not to put force on the ends that could tear the zipper apart.

4. Keep sand and dirt out of the teeth and the closing end of the zipper. Clean the zipper occasionally with mild soap, water and a toothbrush. Lubricate occasionally with a light coat of paraffin, beeswax for metal tooth zippers. For plastic water tight zippers, a dab of McNett Zip Tech Semi-Solid Zipper Lubricant in the closing end improves sealing.

5. Dry suits should be stored in a clean, dry environment. Metal tooth zippers should be partially closed with the zipper slide left about 2 inches open. This will help alleviate pressure on the sealing elements. Plastic water tight zippers should be stored in the entirely closed position. Store either hanging or loosely rolled."