Cutting Cataract oars - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-12-2009   #1

San Juan Islands, Washington
Cutting Cataract oars

I have a set of Cataract oars that are a foot too long, Is it easier to remove the handle and cut, or should I cut the blade end and redrill the hole with a drillpress and holesaw? I think this would be easiest since I wouldn't have to move my sleeves.
I was thinking of using a chop saw with a fine blade, will the carbon fiber in the shaft be a problem?

tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrefried View Post
I have a set of Cataract oars that are a foot too long, Is it easier to remove the handle and cut, or should I cut the blade end and redrill the hole with a drillpress and holesaw? I think this would be easiest since I wouldn't have to move my sleeves.

I was thinking of using a chop saw with a fine blade, will the carbon fiber in the shaft be a problem?
Just cut the blade end with a hacksaw, and redrill the hole. (They cut really easy).

Jack
Jack Bombardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #3

Parachute, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I bought a 10' breakdown oar for my spare and needed 6" cut off to match the other two oars. You will have a very difficult time getting the blade hole lined up in the correct spot. FYI - If you cut off the blade end you will need to replace the foam plug in the bottom of the oar (see 'Water in Cataract Oar' post in Gear Talk)

Advanced Composite's suggestion was to cut off the handle and replace it with a new one using slow cure epoxy (24hrs +). I bought a new handle through DRE and they were kind enough to cut the oar off square using their chop saw. Three cuts should not mess up a fine tooth carbide tip.

I know this means more $$ spent on the boat but now would be a great time to upgrade to counter balanced handles. As far as not moving the sleeves, I think you will have to in order to keep things in the 1/3 - 2/3 dimension.
Shiryas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009   #4

Cut the handle

Cut the handle end with a chop saw while wearing eye protection. Then take an angle grinder and make a cut along the axis of the glass that is left on the handle. You can then use a screw driver to pry the glass off the handle. Always measure twice and cut once. Happy boating
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009   #5

San Juan Islands, Washington
Thanks for the suggestions, I ended up cutting the blade end with a hacksaw and redrilling the hole with a 3/4" holesaw. The hole lined up perfectly and I didn't have to deal with the foam plug, It was more than 1/2 way up.
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018   #6

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
We need to shorten some 10' oars, and wanted to see if anyone had updated stories or recommemdations. TIA

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 02-17-2018   #7

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
I drilled a new whole for the blade button then cut the oar to length. Easy peasy.
Old 02-18-2018   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeinthewater View Post
I drilled a new whole for the blade button then cut the oar to length. Easy peasy.
Damn, good idea! Any tips for getting it perfectly centered and keeping it from spinning? Did you hold the oar with a clamp, or was it easy enough to just freehold? I am relatively skilled with tools and stuff, but am no carpenter.

Any special blade for cutting the glass with a chopsaw?
Old 02-18-2018   #9

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Did I really write "whole"? Anyway, it has been a while since the last time I shortened an oar. I don't have large drill bits so I used either a spade bit or hole saw, probably a hole saw. You should drill a pilot hole before you cut the larger hole for the button. I would practice a couple of times on the portion of the oar that you are going to cut off. I don't think it really matters if the new hole is a bit off center from perfect. Just use a chop saw to cut it to the right length to fit the blade shaft. I've used my chop saw with a crappy framing blade to cut many oar shafts. It wouldn't hurt to use a finish blade with lots of carbide teeth if you are concerned about cutting the shaft. Again you can cut the shaft in increments to practice before making the final cut.
Old 02-18-2018   #10

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
cutting oars

I have noticed that you can get a bit of blade movement, not much, but a bit, if the hole isn't clean. I would try to access a drill press and clap it first for best results. If memory serves, the center of the hole to the cut off is just shy of 6", something between 5 and 15 and a full 6. I know because I was careless with the measurement and assumed it was 6". My blades wouldn't quite fit. So measure carefully. I like the idea of taking thin slices off the end until it fits but make sure your blade and saw will do that cleanly before committing to that method. It's pretty easy, overall.
cmharris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataract