Cutthroat 2 Frame Modification--Transom Install - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-01-2017   #1

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Cutthroat 2 Frame Modification--Transom Install

Hi,

Has anyone, or do you know anyone, that has installed a motor transom on a Cutthroat 2 frame in the Salt Lake City area? I am exploring the idea of installing an electric motor on my Cutthroat 2. Does anyone have experience putting an electric motor on a cat frame? Ideally I would like to install an electric motor and have the ability to charge it with solar panels. If anyone has experience or ideas about how to accomplish this I would appreciate your expertise. Thank you.

Laserjock62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2017   #2
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
Put a couple u bolts through a piece of marine plywood. It probably doesn't have to be marine just real plywood not OSB or something. Trolling motors are not super powerful so I'm thinking that u bolting this to the frame should be enough but I'd still brace the motor from twisting with a strap. Remember when the motor is running the prop with have a tendency to twist the mount under the frame rail.

Now for a solar charger, you might try a cheapo solar car charger from harbor freight. Just cut off the lighter plug. I wouldn't rely on it fully charging the battery. I'd charge it ahead of time. And don't have it be the battery from the car at the bottom end of your shuttle.
Old 05-02-2017   #3

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
I'll save you the headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCo View Post
Put a couple u bolts through a piece of marine plywood. It probably doesn't have to be marine just real plywood not OSB or something. Trolling motors are not super powerful so I'm thinking that u bolting this to the frame should be enough but I'd still brace the motor from twisting with a strap. Remember when the motor is running the prop with have a tendency to twist the mount under the frame rail.

Now for a solar charger, you might try a cheapo solar car charger from harbor freight. Just cut off the lighter plug. I wouldn't rely on it fully charging the battery. I'd charge it ahead of time. And don't have it be the battery from the car at the bottom end of your shuttle.
Your minds in the right place but the logic absent. The area needed to collect enough charge is huge; more that the area of your boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2017   #4

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 1989
Solar panel

A 1' x 3' (rigid) solar panel will get you about 1.25 amps for maintaining/charging your battery, which is as good a plug in trickle charger. Panels have greatly improved over the last few years. I have one for my camper van that was about $110 that produces ~1.25 amps (rated for 1,but checked with multitester) and it keeps the deep cycle topped off. This panel does not require direct sunlight and can be used in the shade or under the van if its daylight. its about 2-3 years old so I am sure there are better ones out there now. Have never had a problem and know folks that use these to run winches on their logging or car hauler trailers. Might not charge you up fully but might keep you topped off for the time you want to use the motor. I'd like to see the transom when completed as I am building one for a (gas) long shaft outboard for my stern oar frame. Good luck.
Vasevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017   #5

peoria, Arizona
No advice on the electrics

But here is a picture of how I use the original Cutthroat transom. I've never actually used it for a motor. By loosening the U-bolts, the wooden mount can either be positioned horizontally and used as a rigid step for entering the boat. It takes only a couple of minutes to position it vertically for use with a motor. I've gotten quite used to using the transom for easy access to the boat when mounted at the front.

deadlizard is offline   Reply With Quote