Coyote River Pooper? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-05-2019   #1

Fulford, Colorado
Coyote River Pooper?

I know I know another groover thread....dammit! I have been scouring the internets looking for any firsthand experience with the Coyote Toilet System. My main concern are sturdiness of the seat as well as the exposed cleanout port or any other issues. Although I would love the Selway River Throne of Amazingness and Awe my wallet likes the Coyote.

Thanks in advance, keep the hairy side up

elcaposwimteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2019   #2

Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 2011
Following - I was just looking at this myself. 1/2 the price of the Selway. I’m a bit concerned that the coyote appears to be “single walled” vs the “double wall” construction of the Selway. Anyone know if these are durable?
Norcalcoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019   #3

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
My friend has one and it is the go to for light weight small boat trips like the mini max, or the rmr storm boats.. we used it on an upper owyhee where its small boats and a portage type trip. Im not so sure it would be my primary go to unit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2019   #4

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
The box itself is bomber. You might be able to hurt it with a hammer but barely. Seat is not as tough but I have had mine for years and its fine. You could not step on the seat without damaging it. My main complaint with the eco safe and the coyote is the darn hole is too small. Used a selway on a main salmon trip this summer and they are awesome except for one thing, when it is in use mode the seat lid does not make a tight seal with the body of the unit letting flies/bugs into the vault. Could be nasty on a long trip. The coyote is the only one that does a good job with this issue. Never used a jonny partner but who except an outfitter has the dosh to buy one of them anyway. Plus if you ever filled one it would weigh friggin ton.
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019   #5

breckenridge, colo.
Paddling Since: 79
I have a coyote its great and very tough,also have Pett ,Partner, Partner go,s on the snout and the other two are used on my 13.5 and 16ft cats the trips were its just myself and two others , the Partner great but kinda big for the Salt or Verde the Pett shit bags go in small ammo can,I,ve used the Selway and the Partner on the Salt to me they,re too big, and the Selway too big flies get traped in it,nice unit but not for me the Partner we"ll bring sometimes and use too store full shit bags and then don,t have to clean out the unit
wookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019   #6

Pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by codycleve View Post
My friend has one and it is the go to for light weight small boat trips like the mini max, or the rmr storm boats.. we used it on an upper owyhee where its small boats and a portage type trip. Im not so sure it would be my primary go to unit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
"my primary go to unit..." Gotta love the phrasing!
Waterhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019   #7

Conejos Canyon & Houston, CO & TX
Paddling Since: 1979
first hand experience

ok here are some comments from someone with first hand experience with the coyote. wait that didn't come out right. arg did it again. seriously i almost didn't even reply as i don't want to be the but of your jokes. ill be here all week...

agree with everything jamesthomas has to say - no joke
crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019   #8

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalcoastie View Post
Following - I was just looking at this myself. 1/2 the price of the Selway. I’m a bit concerned that the coyote appears to be “single walled” vs the “double wall” construction of the Selway. Anyone know if these are durable?
Is the Selway actually double-wall? My impression is that it has the outer sleeve that is the seat...but the tank itself is just single-wall.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019   #9

Lehi, Utah
I like my setup - I don't have to deal with anyone else waste, no smell, easy to keep sanitary.

https://www.amazon.com/Cleanwaste-Go...ds=camp+toilet

With this, you zip up your own mess (it has a bag, that goes into an industrial strength ziploc type bag that you can't see through), then that ziploc it goes into a larger scented garbage bag and is clamped, and then that goes into a 5 gal bucket with a screw on lid.

The chemical in the bag (that you do your business in) turns liquid into solid, as well as deodorizes - the toilet itself is VERY strong, folds down easy, and is simple to setup.

I'm one of those guys that can't change a diaper without puking my guts out, so I can't deal with the regular groover setup - this is an great solution though.
punisher660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019   #10

Pendleton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I had a coyote toilet system for quite some time. It held up well until I put it in the scat machine on the Rogue. Busted the rivets connected to the female threading for the lid. But through the years, it did its job. No leaking or issues with cracks or dents. One thing I didn't like too well was the fact that you couldn't cover the toilet seat...always wet in the morning if there was dew on the grass.
I would buy again...its a great system for someone on a budget.
crossfox21 is offline   Reply With Quote