Could use help assessing this raft's condition - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-14-2017   #1

Portland, United States
Could use help assessing this raft's condition

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at purchasing a used Sotar self-bailer made in the early 2000s. The seller posted the attached pictures that show some delaminating seam tape. It also looks like a few of the D rings may need reglued.

My question is whether this is a major red flag for a boat of this age? The seller says the boat was mainly stored indoors rolled up. It seems like the repair materials wouldn't be too expensive, and would be something I could do myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	part0_1494803042857.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	824.6 KB
ID:	18514   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170514_160437_1494803094168.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	18522  

Osmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2017   #2
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
price tag? if it's a close to free boat, i'd say have fun. if he's asking a grand for it, i'd probably run. looks like a mess.
Old 05-14-2017   #3

Portland, United States
I appreciate the opinion. That's what I was afraid of. He's asking about three grand for a fully rigged oar setup with a bunch of gear included. This would be my first personally owned raft so I'm afraid of getting in over my head if it's nearing the end of its lifespan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2017   #4

Golden, Colorado
You should put that ad in the "Worst Deals Out There" thread.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmo View Post
I appreciate the opinion. That's what I was afraid of. He's asking about three grand for a fully rigged oar setup with a bunch of gear included. This would be my first personally owned raft so I'm afraid of getting in over my head if it's nearing the end of its lifespan.

That's pretty odd - I had a Sotar from the early '00s and the seams were welded, not taped like that looks. If those seams are all coming apart, the boat's basically patch material surrounding a floor (of questionable worth) with some thwarts (of questionable worth) thrown in.

If the frame's really nice, and the oars and gear are all good and make a nice pile, then depending on what's in the package, you could look at it as getting that gear at a fair price with a crap boat thrown in. Right now there's not enough info to know if you'd be getting ripped off.

Offer a fair price for everything but the boat,. That boat's a liability that you'll pay more to fix than it's likely to be worth.

Good luck,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017   #6
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I'd look at this one first

https://bend.craigslist.org/spo/6130413135.html

I'd consider the seam tape coming up like that a real bad sign. Mine is welded on, and I couldn't imagine it lifting like that. I also wouldn't consider it a do it yourself project either. Sotar urethane material isn't the easiest to work worth, if I had anything to do with that boat I'd take it to Vic Legal at Goldwater boat works for an opinion/ quote for repairs. He might refer you to Sotar, and that might be a good idea. Email them a picture of that boat in the morning and see what they might say about it. If you can provide them with the HIN number they can identify the boat for you.
Old 05-15-2017   #7
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
RUN
Old 05-15-2017   #8

Golden, Colorado
I wouldn't buy the frame, oars, cooler,etc until after you get a boat. Especially, the frame.

Those specs can be hard to match up in the used market unless you have allot of time and effort to burn.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017   #9

Portland, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learch View Post
I'd look at this one first
Hey, you found it! That looks like a totally different boat, right?

My thanks to everyone who weighed in. I ended up passing on it. Will keep looking.
Old 05-15-2017   #10

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 91'
I agree, RUN!!
rubtheduck is offline   Reply With Quote