Cordless Inflators, Leaf Blowers, and Pumps, Oh My! - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Cordless Inflators, Leaf Blowers, and Pumps, Oh My!

What's everyone using these days for quick inflation (Edit: in the field, not at home, bonus for cordless)? I've seen people with cordless leaf blowers. DeWalt had a sale on a high volume inflator at Home Depot at one point, and I've seen a Ryobi that looked like a drill, but had an inflation nozzle on it. I was wondering if anyone has tried any of these space age technologies, and would love to hear how well they work, or if you burn them out the first try on a real raft that isn't a rubber alligator.

WhiteLightning is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Denver, Colorado
I got one of these recently and love it. IT also deflates which is really nice.

https://www.dewalt.com/products/gear...lator/dcc020ib
whitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Denver, Colorado
I've got a small shop vac that plugs into my truck bed outlet (Tacoma). Cheap, brings the 14er to shape quickly, but certainly low pressure.
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Here’s a Bosch. I used a dishwasher hose adapter with a male thread x barb fitting to attach it to the blower tube. Fits the leafield valve perfect. I can blow my minimax about 3 minutes. Version 2 will have something to push the valve open when inflating.
Hyside43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyside43 View Post
Here’s a Bosch. I used a dishwasher hose adapter with a male thread x barb fitting to attach it to the blower tube. Fits the leafield valve perfect. I can blow my minimax about 3 minutes. Version 2 will have something to push the valve open when inflating.
Sorry, here’s the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05DC6DD2-2334-475D-B11F-A8762768C718_1562347991806.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	36975  
Hyside43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Harbor Freight leaf blower for about 40$ probably cheaper with a coupon
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I've got a Milwaukee 18V cordless blower. It works OK, but I usually take the 18V cordless vacuum instead because it reverses to a blower and gets higher pressure in the raft. I would pack the blower on the river, but the vacuum is a little bigger and stays in the truck.
Duckins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

Calgary, Alberta
I have the ryobi one you're talking about. I already have a bunch of the batteries and it was cheap.

It works awesome, but it's not high pressure. You need to open your valves and fill to light pressure and then top off by hand.

I used it last weekend and filled a 16 footer and a 13 footer, and also deflated them at takeout, all on 1 x 2ah battery and we didn't even kill the battery.

And it's small and light.

I can recommend it without hesitation.
cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitty View Post
I got one of these recently and love it. IT also deflates which is really nice.

https://www.dewalt.com/products/gear...lator/dcc020ib
I received one of these for Christmas. It's awesome. On one battery it filled 1 16' Avon, 2 14' Avon's, a 12' Hyside and a set of 16' NRS cat tubes plus 2 Duckies.

At home I use a shop vac of the large size to inflate, clean and deflate with.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Boone, North Carolina
I use a small 1 gallon DeWalt shop vac. Don’t have the model number, but it’s the model that can be plugged in using a cord or run on an 18v or 20v battery. Works great.

I use the bottom of the vac as storage to hold a spare electrical cord, roll of electrical tape, and 20v battery. I also rigged a leafield adapter/connector to the end of the hose for solid connection to valves on raft. ‘Blow’ mode inflates, ‘suck’ mode deflates like a vacuum sealer. Although I never deflate.

I’ve found this to be a very mobile system that runs on multiple power sources depending on power availability. This will get it pretty well inflated, then top off with K-Pump.
Icecreamman is offline   Reply With Quote