Coolers - best brands? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-18-2018   #1

Ridgway, Colorado
Coolers - best brands?

I'm planning to upgrade my old Igloo cooler (125 qts) and would like to hear what folks like best. Yeti? Engel? Other?

Lois Ziemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2018   #2

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Buy the cooler that fits your frame and your needs.

A lot of people are anxiously awaiting the Canyon Coolers Navigator - 18" wide and 150qt.

If you buy a Yeti, you get stickers you can put on your lifted truck and take to muddy tailgate parties to show off your Salt Life tattoos.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018   #3

Cody, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
....If you buy a Yeti, you get stickers you can put on your lifted truck and take to muddy tailgate parties to show off your Salt Life tattoos.
Hmmm, if I did not know better, I'd think that was a derogatory comment toward a certain segment of our society. That comment coming from a member of a board where most, not all, think a good time is having an alcoholic beverage while floating down mother natures highways.

Anywho.... I like the brand RTIC, they are yeti clones at half of the price. Since being released several years ago they have solved their logistics issues and usually have stock to ship immediately. I just paid $320 shipped for a 110qt. I have a 45qt from a few years ago and I can find zero difference between the RTIC and yets except price.
outdrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2018   #4

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Salt Life tattoos. Hilarious.
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018   #5

Golden, Colorado
No raft should be without a pink Yeti.

Period.

Boom.

[Drops the mike and walks away.]

Now that that's settled...to drain or not to drain your new pink Yeti?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0500.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	31337  
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018   #6

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
Most of the new thick, roto molded coolers are going to keep stuff cold with good cooler management. Whatever fits your boat and budget... If you look around my shed, you'll see a fleet of Yetis. Most of them were purchased when Yeti and Icey Tek were the only options and we didn't have an Icey Tek dealer around. My Yeti's are holding up great. If I were to buy a cooler today, I'd find the best fitting for my frame and then look at cost second.

I did receiver a Yeti Hopper as a gift last year. I don't think I'd personally decide to drop the coin on one-I'd probably go Rtic. But it is sweet. I used it all the time.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018   #7

glenwierd, Co.
Paddling Since: 05'
Do you keep hot dogs in your pink box (YETI)?
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018   #8

little rock, Arkansas
I rarely comment as I rarely have anything useful to contribute, but I will say I've been very pleased with my Canyon. I won't engage in the Yeti bashing (though I think it's appropriate), but irrespective of cost or anything else I don't like them because the lid design wastes a lot of space and mashes food and the latches stretch and tear, or at least mine did when I had a Yeti. Others' mileage may vary as I know plenty of consumers have Yeti and Yeti clones.
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018   #9

Cascadia, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdrman View Post

Anywho.... I like the brand RTIC, they are yeti clones at half of the price.
Arenít all the roto molded coolers essentially Yeti clones?

My only complaint about roto molded coolers is that they weigh a ton before you ever even load them.
speyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018   #10

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I love both of my canyons, I have a 55 that fits my RMR 10.5 storm perfectly. I also have a canyon sailor 105. this was the predecessor to the prospector. it fits my boat pretty well and is my go to mid sized cooler..

I just got a RTIC 145 that I picked up on sale for $320. This is my big cooler for my raft that fits like a glove. I got put ice in it for a middle fork on the 7th and we have had mid to high 90's here every day and I have been off the river for four days and and just ran out of ice on the 17th. So RTIC has my seal of approval.
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote