cooler recommendations - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-30-2017   #1

Hailey, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
cooler recommendations

Has anyone tried an Engel Cooler? The reviews for the roto molded are great but dang they look heavy and I'm looking to lighten my load. They are less then the Pelican and Yeti too. I like that they are certified bear proof. thanks

Kinddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2017   #2

Durango, Colorado
I whole heartedly recommend the Canyon Prospector 103, if you have room. The CP 103 was made for rafts, to me, nothing comes close. From It's raft friendly shape to the drain holes this cooler was thoughtfully designed for rafts While the rubber latches on both brand's look alike, the Canyon's latches hold much tighter. The cooler neatly rests on the cross bars and connects easily with 1ft cams. I usually have over
50% of my ice remaining after 5 day trips, and we are in and out of it all day long.
waveTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017   #3
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Not sure what size you are looking for. I picked up one of these last year,

https://www.riversports.com/rs/produ...afting-Camping

4 corners is the only one that had one in stock and they shipped it right out.
I am in Bellevue and they didn't charge much to ship it up either. You are welcome to come look at this one if you want. It is heavier than the igloo I had (41 lbs I think) but it is an awesome cooler.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2017   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Engle Coolers are Roto-molded. Engle coolers are not noticeably lighter or different than any other brand of high end coolers. Also there is no such thing as lightening up a cooler, its either thick and heavy or thin and takes more ice.

I have an Engle, well mine is actually an NRS branded one but it is made by Engle and really the same except the latches are different. Its a great cooler and I would highly recommend them. Its a much better shape for rafting than a Yeti/RTIC shape. That being said I have the Canyon Prospector cooler too and that thing is simply the best rafting cooler out there.

There are TONS of threads on coolers so check them out.
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017   #5

Arco, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
I had an Engle 123 and I ended up selling it, I just didn't like the shape/space that it had. Ended up with a 150 Blackrock cooler which I love!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Atomicrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Central Point, Oregon
I am really happy with the K2 coolers. They are available in 20-120qt. The best part is the latches are fixed to the body which keeps the cross bar from interfering. There is also enough of a lip they can sit on the crossbars without slings if you can adjust your cross bar spacing.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017   #7

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2013
I got the canyon 103 and for the above mentioned points love it. July rogue trip last year still had chip ice frozen to the 2 one gallon ice bottles after 5 days. So so management on keeping it closed. Mounts great but I will say is heavy when loaded with ice, food and drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Croghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017   #8

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
I have a Blackrock 150 which I love.

I've heard nothing but good about Canyon Coolers but I wanted a larger cooler.
trevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017   #9

Boise, Idaho
Agreed on the Canyon Prospector. It's the only cooler that I know of that is specifically designed for rafting. We love ours.
Bwick84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017   #10

Groveland, California
I have three Engel coolers right now, they have held up and worked very well. The biggest drawback in my opinion is the latches and it is not a huge issue. If you are sitting on the cooler, the weight compresses the gasket enough that the latch will open. Not all the way, but will trip the over-center part of the latch. The lid on the Engel has a grainy, non-slip texture that I like. Their roto molding seems to have pores in it that are hard to clean out. Maybe most roto-molds do? I know my Igloo Yukon does not have this and it is much easier to clean. I ended up with them because the sizes just seemed to fit the boats I wanted to use them in. If I could have fit a Prospector 103 in the boat I would own one of them....not quite, so have an Engel 80. Austin Canoe and Kayak stocks them... 15% off and free ship if you sign up for their email list.
HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote