Cooler recommendation for 42" intertube space - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-04-2013   #1

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Cooler recommendation for 42" intertube space

I'm looking to get the largest cooler I can fit in a 156R with an tube-tube width space of 42". Any recommendations for a cooler? I know most of the 12Xqts will fit but was wondering what larger coolers will also fit that space.

Thanks in advance.

readNrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2013   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Looks like the NRS Big Sky 146 & 175 will fit. Canyon Cooler Expedition 160 will just make it at 41 inches.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #3

Niwot, Colorado
Excellent - now I just need to see if I can get a 2nd mortgage for the cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2013   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmanbldr View Post
Excellent - now I just need to see if I can get a 2nd mortgage for the cooler.
Yeah, no doubt! The smaller ones are bad enough, but going over 120 Qt. will cost a fortune.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #5

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I have a big sky 12? and 175. The 175 is freaking huge. when loaded it takes 2 burly dudes to move it. It really needs to be loaded on the boat and never taken off.
Even when empty I do not have the wingspan to comfortably carry it around.

the 128?whatever is small enough to lug around alone when empty and is manageable to get off the boat if necessary when loaded.

The ice retention is as good as the yeti models of similar size on the trips I have had them both on. and I like the latches much better.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #6

Niwot, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiya79 View Post
I have a big sky 12? and 175. The 175 is freaking huge. when loaded it takes 2 burly dudes to move it. It really needs to be loaded on the boat and never taken off.
Even when empty I do not have the wingspan to comfortably carry it around.

the 128?whatever is small enough to lug around alone when empty and is manageable to get off the boat if necessary when loaded.

The ice retention is as good as the yeti models of similar size on the trips I have had them both on. and I like the latches much better.
Hmmm....I've had a 120 and it would be challenging to move that on and off the boat fully loaded as well. But that is a good point about being able to move it around even empty.
Old 03-12-2014   #7
Owner: Class 5 Carvings

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I just ordered a Canyon Coolers 150, its the old style and says its 41.2 in length. Jason honored an old coupon I found on the buzz last year, shipped to my house for about 360. Still expensive but thats a big ass cooler for way less then an equivalent NRS, yeti or Engel.
Old 03-12-2014   #8

Niwot, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the Kayaker View Post
I just ordered a Canyon Coolers 150, its the old style and says its 41.2 in length. Jason honored an old coupon I found on the buzz last year, shipped to my house for about 360. Still expensive but thats a big ass cooler for way less then an equivalent NRS, yeti or Engel.
After doing extensive research it comes down to insulation and construction (and money

By definition the quality of the build combined with the amount of insulation will dictate the size of the cooler for the most part. You can get a bigger interior dimensioned cooler with smaller exterior dimensions only by compromising the quality of the insulation and the shell construction.

That's why the NRS 146 is bigger than the canyon 150 with it's exterior dimensions.

Granted - that may still be a great cooler but I've found that those two factors are directly correlated to the quality - and cost - of the cooler.
Old 03-12-2014   #9

U not daho, Idaho
Paddling Since: noon
I have a 156R and an Engel 150 QT cooler. Both are 2010. It fits great width wise. One disadvantage is it sticks up kind of high: can be a knuckle buster at times as I run it right in front of me. But for a 150 QT with proper width, that's going to happen. I use NRS cool mount/strap and run it as close to the floor as possible.
The latches close fine, but could be a little tighter lid closure. I never had a problem with water getting in cooler, but seems like it could be tighter.
It looks like they have updated to a silicon gasket (mines rubber).

After writing this, I went to the website and they no longer offer the 150, but they do offer 123 QT. NRS used to sell them, not sure why they don't anymore?

Engel DeepBlue Coolers | FREE SHIPPING | 25 €“ 320 Quart Sizes Available
dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #10
Owner: Class 5 Carvings

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ya I like the NRS coolers but their dimensions don't work for me the 146 is over an inch longer and over 2 inches taller then the canyon 150. I didn't want one too tall incase it goes In front of the rower. Plus 230 bucks more which was just way out of budget. 360 was a lot 590 is a ton. Also there is more insulation in the lid than the nrs and it's ok that the sides are thinner for 10 bucks I think I can just rubber cement and inch of foam to the inside if I need. But really what it comes down to was dimensions and budget. I think that's most important to shop for and probably in reality all those high end coolers perform the same if you cover them and pack them well. Just my two cents. Happy shopping I know it took me a lot of researching to find the right one for me