Cooler ? One vs. Two - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-24-2015   #1

Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 2014
Cooler ? One vs. Two

What are your thoughts on having two 65 qt vs. One 150 at? I know there is 20 more at in the 150!

Sent from my XT1080 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

MOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2015   #2
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
potentialy more ice efficient if you can keep one closed till first one is empty of food and or beer. Tape around the lid and double insulate second cooler with wet towels, cheapo foam sleeping pad, paco pad, whatever you can come up with, drane every day and you might come out ahead.
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015   #3

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I use two coolers instead of one larger cooler, they fit my boat better.

One large cooler has a better surface to volume ratio and will keep ice longer than two small coolers for typical everyday use.

However, with a two cooler system you can pack one as a cooler and one as a freezer using dry ice. The daily cooler gets opened and closed as needed. The freezer gets taped shut until day 3 or 4 of a trip. In this way I can serve Popsicles in the desert on day 3 and still have ice left at the takeout day 7.

Packing a single cooler with dry ice is less effective. Stuff that shouldn't get frozen, like lettuce, gets destroyed and opening and closing the lid for daily access wastes the dry ice.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2015   #4

I'd go for whatever fit the boat setup the best. A freezer and a fridge box is great but really with today's high end coolers a week plus is a chip shot keeping ice. On the other hand, with cheap boxes 20 more quarts of ice vs having a dedicated freezer might be an interesting experiment.

If you insulate the dry ice with newspaper and a layer of ice on the bottom, your veggies should be safe on the top.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #5

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I'd go for whatever fit the boat setup the best. A freezer and a fridge box is great but really with today's high end coolers a week plus is a chip shot keeping ice. On the other hand, with cheap boxes 20 more quarts of ice vs having a dedicated freezer might be an interesting experiment.

If you insulate the dry ice with newspaper and a layer of ice on the bottom, your veggies should be safe on the top.

I've never encountered this issue but I would think the problem is not freezer burn but would be the CO2 released by the dry ice ...
Old 02-25-2015   #6

As far as what? I was just giving a tip so kengore would stop freezing his lettuce.

Old 02-25-2015   #7

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
With either our 120 qt or 165 qt Igloo coolers, we use 1.5'' foam for a divider and 3/4'' foam for a lid and make 1/3 of our cooler a freezer w/ the pre-made and frozen meals and margs stored in there with dry ice at the start of the trip.
We keep veggies, etc at the other end of the cooler to help prevent them from freezing. Veggies like tomatoes and avocados go between the bubble wrap and the cooler lid. I'm not aware of any issues with CO2 tho.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #8

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I have used the 'wrap in newspaper' or cardboard and many other dry ice techniques. Far too often something got frozen that shouldn't have or some thing came out so rock hard that it took hours to thaw. Not saying it can't be done, but it is trickier to manage dry ice in one cooler than in two.

I am forced to using two coolers due to my narrow frame design. Having both the freezer and refrigerator has been an advantage. Lettuce stays crisp, meat can thaw in the fridge overnight and one cooler can stay shut for days.

The only concern I have with CO2 is when a dry ice cooler is in the car, I like to crack a window just in case.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #9

Maybe having a bigger cooler helps with that.

Old 02-25-2015   #10

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Once pulled some oranges and apples out of a cooler with dry ice on the Selway. The fruit was all carbonated. As in it kind of fizzed/popped in your mouth like soda. Weird but not unpleasant if you knew it was coming.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote