COOLER - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-16-2017   #1

Cave Creek, Arizona
COOLER

Hey, I just scored a GREAT deal on a rotomolded cooler. orcacooler.com. They are a real close match to a Yeti. Check out the reviews, they hold ice as good or better than any cooler on the market. They are all on sale for 20% off i think through the end of the year. I paid $278.00 for a 75 qt. They have many color choices, lots of sizes and are guaranteed for LIFE.
I am a newbie on this site so not sure if this is the correct forum for this post. Is there a special place for this kind of item? maybe we can start one for good deals on quality gear.

Skipperw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2017   #2

Jenks, Oklahoma
RTIC may have just finished an even better sale price on their products.

I ordered two sizes of their coolers at really good prices. Received one of them and it sure looks and feels as good as my Yeti and Engel coolers do.

While I have spent a ton of money on Yeti coolers and cups over the years, Yeti has priced themselves out of my buying any of their products. On cups even the WalMart versions are almost as good if not as good as the Yeti cups I received for Christmas gifts.

Bottom line on most of these coolers and cups they may well be partially assembled in USA but most are built off shore. About the only thing done to insure quality is the checking done in the USA before shipping out to us boaters looking for cold drinks on take out day. Based on the RTIC products I have purchased, RTIC seems to be doing a good job of quality control checking to weed out the junk.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017   #3

Cave Creek, Arizona
That reminds me, Orca coolers are manufactured and assembled in the USA and price includes shipping. I don't work for these guys, i just really like the coolers
Skipperw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2017   #4

Jenks, Oklahoma
Sure glad to know that Orca is a USA company.

May be a while for me to be back buying coolers but I will get on the Orca mailing list. I had purchased a fabric RTIC cooler from them and they sent me a email in advance of the sale.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017   #5

Edgewood..., Not New...Not Mexico
Paddling Since: 0930
I too have been looking at Rtic 145 vs. Orca 140 vs Yeti 210 as each of them have the dimensions and capacity that I need to upgrade from 90 qt. Canyon which is small for trips beyond 7-10 days.

Of the three my choice has been the Rtic 145 but they are unavailable until about Feb March 2018 for some odd reason and I'd like to get the dang thing sooner than that so I can tinker with frame adjustments etc. and make sure it's the one before an April GC trip.

So with that being the case, I've landed on the Orca 140 as it's very similar in size to the Rtic, and on sale right now.

As for the Yeti 210, it's very similar in size but a bit larger and too much to pay for. Plus I don't like the misleading way they don't tell you the quart capacity but call it a 210 based on the model number and how many cans of beer it'll hold, none of that tells me much.

So I'd buy the Rtic 145 right now if they had one to sell and they say they don't so I reckon I'm leaning toward the Orca 140
Livenswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipperw View Post
I am a newbie on this site so not sure if this is the correct forum for this post. Is there a special place for this kind of item? maybe we can start one for good deals on quality gear.
I'm moving the thread to Rafting Gear Talk.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017   #7

Shaver Lake, California
Here's a link to compare capacities
http://thecoolerbox.com/cooler-comparison-guide/
DaveScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017   #8

Shaver Lake, California
While we're on this what do folks use to keep the cooler cold? I use the Costco milk jugs. Does anyone have any experience with the KoolerGel on Amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/KoolerGel-Ice.../dp/B005Z7YZA4
DaveScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017   #9

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveScott View Post
While we're on this what do folks use to keep the cooler cold? I use the Costco milk jugs. Does anyone have any experience with the KoolerGel on Amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/KoolerGel-Ice.../dp/B005Z7YZA4
I like it (gel) I put several (4) 2 liter jugs in the top basket of my 103 prospector canyon cooler. Helps keep the ice frozen and the frozen food frozen. If you make up some jugs make sure you put food coloring in water before mixing in the gel powder so no one tries to drink from them
Old 12-25-2017   #10

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Also adding something like this will make a big difference in ice retention.

Aquatraction Pads